Screeching Sounds from Optical Drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ksavorate, Jul 6, 2008.

1. ksavorate macrumors newbie

ksavorate

Hello,
    I had a DVD in my MacBook Pro. It was Lego Star Wars II and I had just finished playing the game. I quit the game and then picked up my laptop. A horrible screeching noise started ensuing from the optical drive. It continued when I put the laptop down. I forced shutdown (held power button) and then rebooted. It took a while to boot and stuck at the grey apple logo. While it was stuck there the optical drive made a couple other sounds and then it spit out the DVD. The laptop continued to boot normally. Is this supposed to happen? If so, it is a serious design flaw! One should be able to pick up a laptop when there is a disc inside!! Anyway, I am covered under AppleCare, should I go to an Apple Store and see what they think? Please answer!!!

Thanks!

2. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

well no it isn't supposed to happen. Does it happen with other discs? If it dosent and the problem only occurs with the disc in question,then it is probably just a bad disc. Otherwise, yes you need to take it in because u probably have a bad optical drive.