Screen after 1.01

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jeef690, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Jeef690 macrumors member

Anyone feel as though their phones' screens are now dimmer AFTER the new 1.01 update? Its as though the screen appears to be 1/2 as bright at full brightness compared to the original firmware. Just wanted to get some statistics on this. Thanks.

2. I3eXa macrumors 6502

Mine seems the same after the update. Have you tried looking at your brightness settings to see if it maybe just set the default brightness to a lower level???

3. Jeef690 thread starter macrumors member

No...I have pushed my brightness up to full and it is definitely dimmer. Someone else, somewhere on this forum, reported the same problem.

4. taphil macrumors regular

Yes, my 5* screen has gotten dimmer at the max setting. It used to be really bright at the max setting with 1.0 firmware.

5. Joshua8o8 macrumors 6502

no difference here, my seven screens brightness has stayed the same, and its still looking good!

6. Kchino macrumors member

Maybe Apple dimmed the brightness as a battery saving feature?

7. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

no .. i havent noticed. i wish the phones were consistent, though. ive never seen so many phones with their own unique features like volume, battery life, screen quality, speed etc...

8. F1Addict macrumors newbie

My 5 series seems the same after the update. The only difference I've noticed is increased volume.

9. overcast macrumors 6502a

Voila! Magic battery saving firmware update lol

10. severe macrumors 6502a

however, in all fairness, you've probably never seen a phone more talked about.

;)

11. Kchino macrumors member

Battery life is regulated by firmware, why is that so funny?

12. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

that's true. i've also never gotten so much attention when i had it out in public. in fact, i've never seen anyone care anyhting about a phone except maybe when the razr came out in 2004. and that was just because it was so thin.

13. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Yes I noticed this *immediately* most here disagree with me though :)

14. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

mine seems the same. Actually having the thing on full brightness is so bright it hurts your eyes. I normally have it at about 50% brightness, not for battery conservation but it's what i prefer and it's excellent.

15. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

That seems odd. I have a 7* display and it has been the same. I asked my brother if his iPhone display has become more dim and he said it has been the same. He has the 5* display since he bought it on Sunday unlike me who got it Friday.

16. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

My 5 series is the same after the update, but you might want to check your settings. The update changed my brightness to a lower setting than where I had it prior to the update, and it also re-enabled the Auto-Brightness on it's own again too (I had previously turned it off) for some reason. However, after I manually set the brightness back to where I had it before, and turned the auto-brightness setting back off again, it was right back to exactly the same level that it was before the update.

17. gceo macrumors 6502a

gceo

I'll take it... I'm getting much better battery life post.0.1 and haven't noticed a thing different.

18. Okiewan, Aug 2, 2007
    Last edited: May 15, 2013

Okiewan macrumors member

19. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Mine seems the same.

Perhaps they changed the auto brightness feature? Are people using that?

My understanding is it only sets brightness when you turn the unit on.

20. I3eXa macrumors 6502

He was saying like that was the 1 and only purpose of the update.....but it was a joke that it looks like you didn't get. :D no worries

21. meagain macrumors 68030

'IF' anything, I bet any change would be in Auto-Brightness. Perhaps it's more effective now. I thought this after I did the update but IDK. I don't recall it ever doing anything before. Now I see a difference - a switching when turned off/on.

I'd turn it off, then judge if the screen has changed.

22. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

It's funny in a sarcastic way because if it were true, permanently lowering the brightness is a pretty chintzy fix for improved battery life. Almost akin to removing, say, the e-mail app to reclaim some storage space and saying "TA DA! 500k More memory and improved webmail interface!! :D"

Which... knowing the mindless minions who clap and holler at his keynote speeches, Steve Jobs probably could pull off...

23. overcast macrumors 6502a

I'm not quite sure how that went over all their heads, but I'm glad someone got it :)

24. tttexxan macrumors 6502a

I was the first to post this problem aftet the update on the forum several nights ago.

Prior to the update I had my brightness settings at approx 50%. I had always been amazed how bright this setting was compared to other Pocket Pc's I have owned in the past.

I noticed two things right after the update was complete...My brightness level went from 50% down to 25%. The difference was right away without a doubt. Im now having to keep the brightness set at 75% for the same brightness level prior to the update.

Secondly, my sound volume was always set to 100% (Max) on all settings prior to update. After update was complete my sound bars on all settings dropped to 75% but seem to retain what used to be 100%. I increased the sound by approx 3-4 clicks on the phone (as stated this was all the way up prior to update) and the sound is VERY loud. The same voicemail barley audible prior to update is now clear and easly heard. The volume settings while talking on the phone are now at 75% instead of 100%.

Many here doubt this information, but these are actual changes I made to the phone after the update. Funny thing is I had no issues with the sound settings or brightness prior to the update, so no reason to make this up.