Screen - air vs pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Luigi3, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Luigi3 macrumors member

Well, i've read many opinions and there are slightly more that air screen is better. It's about resolution, which is bigger than in Pro. I still consider choise like in this thread and screen is important - I will not be doing some pro graphics tasks, more programistic stuff like Xcode. What do you think, which one would/is better? 13' of course.

2. simsaladimbamba

The MacBook Pro (MBP) has a better screen actually, if you consider colour reproduction and viewing angles.
    As for resolution, the 13" MacBook Air (MBA) has a bigger resolution than the 13" MBP, thus the MBA has more screen real estate, which might help you with programming (more palettes and such).

To learn more about Mac OS X: Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios

3. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

If you aren't doing pro graphics work I would go with the Air. The screen is sharp and colorful, and there is less glare than the MBP. The difference in resolution will probably be hard to tell with the naked eye but the MBA is also really cool, so there's that.

4. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

They are just different - the Air screen is sharper, but less color-rich (less saturation of colors). The MBP screen is more colorful (and deeper colors), but less sharp. I definitely noticed a difference when I went from MBP to MBA, but adjusted to it quickly.

5. Luigi3 thread starter macrumors member

What about black bezel in Pro? Is this advantage or not? IMO black bezel is better than white in Air, but air has better resolution.

And all in all, your opinion is...?

6. Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

The MBA has a silver bezel and not a white one... As for which one is better: both are good, it only comes down to: "do YOU like YOUR notebook more with a black or a silver bezel?"

7. Luigi3 thread starter macrumors member

Um, honestly for the first sight black bezel looks better, and in watching movies will be helpful. But silver in air is not bad too, whole laptop in one color looks nice. But the look is something that I'll not care after some time, more important is the overall value/quality of the screen(and whole laptop too).

By the way - if Apple introduce Retina pro 13', will the air series dissapear? 13' retina would be as light as air, if retina 15' has weight of 13' pro.

8. stchman macrumors 6502a

IMO, the silver bezel looks better than the black one.

9. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

You wont even notice the bezel within 30 days, whichever one you prefer. I liked the black one better as well, but I don't even notice the silver one now on my Air - I'm too busy actually looking at the screen.

I don't prefer either - they both have their strengths. If you can deal with the MBP size and weight, then get that. If portability is key, then get the Air. Either way, you will get used to and enjoy the screen.

10. Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

I agree with TheRealDamager. After a while you'll totally forget about the bezel...

As for rMBP 13" killing the Air line... most likely not yet... eventually if things get thin enough, there might no longer be a need for 2 separate lines. You'll only have to choose between an extremely thin and powerful 11", 13" or 15" notebook ( GPUs are IMO the trickiest parts... either integrated graphics have to become really powerful, or the market will start using external GPUs connected to the notebook whenever needed )...

... Only time will tell to be honest :)

If you can wait with the purchase, it might be worth waiting a few more weeks... Apple might unveil the new 13" rMBP or at least say that it won't be coming this year but only sometimes next year.

11. Luigi3 thread starter macrumors member

Base Pro 13' and Air 13' are the most expensive options for me that I can handle. rMBP might be lovely, but would be much more expensive than these 2 laptops.
    I'm asking because I'm thinking about that my Pro/Air will be machine for many years, at least 4. Of course there will be support afer some years for both, but I don't want to be today-person with plain white macbook. Kinda weird :rolleyes:

12. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

If you don't need a computer right now I suggest you wait and see if apple is really bring retina display to the 13 inch. I know you won't be able to afford it but there always a chance they do a small upgrade to all there computers like they always do. As for me am waiting for intel haswell to come out, this will a big upgrade for the future MacBook air

13. Calot macrumors regular

+75,000

I do not know why, but the black one looks cheaper, older, less refined. And it is more reflective.

14. Luigi3 thread starter macrumors member

I need computer no later than next week. University comes slowly and I have to learn new system :) And as I said - If rMBP 13 comes this year, will be way too much expensive for me. You Americans have no-brainer for laptops - if you want rMBP, you'll get it anyway. I'm a poor student and for me macs are very prestige products.

15. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

I suggest the MacBook pro like it sound you need the horse power don't get me wrong the MacBook air is amazing in reality is really a toss up . Go to the apple store an play with them

16. Luigi3 thread starter macrumors member

Apple Store? Gee, man, we don't have any Apple Stores :D In my city is only one store, they have macbook pro 13' 2011 base model for about 2100$ :D

Oh, by the way - If I got Pro 13', I wouldn't change anything in hardware in next year on warranty. This is a plus for Air - has SSD and 8 GB RAM from the beginning.

17. Luigi3 thread starter macrumors member

Sorry for double post, but I don't want to start new topic. Is there anyone who has both or seen air and pro 13' in action? What about the screens? Because I changed my mind - I will be doing some photoshop tasks, but not too professional, just amateur things like adjusting photos, etc. But still main tasks are programming, VM and work with Internet and text.

And by the way - very important issue for me - security. I will have to secure my future air/pro and is there some good cases? Should be shock-proof and other features to cover laptop. And would be good if it was case with a zipper. That I can use laptop without taking out laptop from case. So, is there still meaning to buy ultra-portable Air if I want to buy good case/cover? Pro is not fat, but kinda bulky and in cover would be more solid I guess. Is Air not too fragile?

18. Calot macrumors regular

A toss up?

Where do you live?

2008?

The new SSDs are fast as poop! And the screen looks so much better. (If you are not doing professional work with photos)

7900 Geekbench score is no toss up.

Plus, they weigh like half of what the pro weighs.

And don't tell me 'upgrade to an SSD on the pro' Because I do not want to have to open my Pro.

19. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Worrying about resolution in small amounts is something that would please the marketing zombies. Really it's not that big of a deal unless it's something significant, and Apple was behind in terms of what was possible in a 15" form factor until this year. No one jumped ship just to pick up a couple hundred dots in one direction. Overall I don't mind the Air, but the viewing angles are not that great, and the color isn't as smooth or accurate relative to the typical sRGB reference. The rMBP is the first truly credible notebook display I've seen on a mac, not due to its resolution. The viewing angles and gamut are much better. A few other brands have gotten some really nice results from their own IPS implementations, but they haven't gotten such a tight pixel density. Anyway you really should view them in person.

Ram and SSD/hard drive are considered user serviceable parts on the 13" Pro and 15" cMBP (non retina). When Apple doesn't want you to touch something, they use anti-tamper screws such as pentalobe bits. Those aren't included in normal tool sets. Changing ram doesn't void anything. Either way don't buy it from disreputable brands and always memtest everything. If you break something it doesn't matter whether or not you're within the warranty period, as it's considered on you. The user serviceable parts are by design quite easy to access.

I'd suggest you buy what you want to use. Only Apple knows what they will bring out or kill off. If you're buying based on residual value, that's a very bad idea with tech items. Buy something you want. I can almost guarantee the rMBP will take a huge beating. At some point it'll end up on the $1800 model. Then that will hit the refurbished section. It will not remain out of reach of the Air customers for more than a year or so given the potential for refurbs.

It's all relative to what you need. Beyond that geekbench scores are only one reference, and I am unsure whether they'll hold up if stressing the computer for long periods of time. These things do throttle.

20. Luigi3, Aug 25, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2012

Luigi3 thread starter macrumors member

I will write this one last time: I will not get rMBP, because its price is astronomical, about 60% more expensive than mac that I can afford. For some people who is working here few dollars hare and there is not a problem, not for me. And we don't have refub Apple Store. We dont have Apple store.

Okay, so I did some kind of comparison and:

• Screen: As a student/programmer display is important, and honestly I don't know which one is better, I can't see Air live, only Pro. Gamut and resolution are important, maybe resolution a little bit more, because resolution in Pro 13' in expensive and new laptop is kinda weird.

• Processor: I will be doing some light games, such as CoD, but rarely. Most of the time will be Internet/Xcode/VM with Windows. Pro has better processor, but this is not a big deal.

• RAM: for VM I need RAM. In my case, from the beginning I have 8 GB in air and 4 GB in pro. In pro RAM is upgradable, but I will not do this in next 10 months. Why? I will have many other costs, and I will be afraid of opening my new laptop :)

• Disk: I have everything on my PC disk since 2008 which has 160 GB HDD. If I don't need something, I delete. I prefer speed over capacity. My iTunes folder has 20 GB and 50% of this is saved apps from my iphone. On the other hand, in Pro disk is also upgradable, but from the beginning i will have slow HDD. In air SSD is also upgradable, but expensive.

• Weight: oh well, this is difficult. I have in my house laptop-for-everyone-in-family, Samsung 15'. Weighs 5.5 pounds and is kinda heavy. On the other hand, I don't have problems with lifting, I'm going to the gym :) Pro weighs 4.5 pounds, so its lighter than my Samsung, but kinda bulky in 2012 when laptops goes ultraportable like Air/rMBP. Air is lovely with this weight!

• Superdrive: i don't use CD/DVD.

• Ethernet: I don't use ethernet in laptop, in stationary PC yes.

• appearance: which one looks more professional? LOL I don't know ! :)

Rest is the same, I think. Security is also my concern, I'm going to buy good case.

21. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Saying the 13" pro starts with 4GB is crap. You're paying for the 8GB upgrade with the Air. If that's a factor, configure both equally. You'll pay a whole $50 more for your ram upgrade than you would doing it yourself. The difference is less if you have to buy a screwdriver in the appropriate size. Avoid the really cheaply made ones as they may strip screws due to poor fit. Personally I think they're both fine. The Pro has a better screen. The resolution difference is minor. Both of these are notebook quality displays. They do not have the quality you can purchase in a desktop display. From everything you've mentioned, it's a choice only you can make. The differences aren't significant enough for someone to tell you what to buy. My only suggestion is that you don't go crazy on upgrades with the false belief that this will be the last device you'll ever purchase. I would just buy the thing as you wish to use it and enjoy the device. The idea of upgrade options is somewhat of a false one at times. I prefer service options in case a battery or hard drive dies. I buy most of my upgrades at the beginning unless they're extremely expensive relative to their usefulness.

22. Luigi3 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, this is useful advice. In my situation, Pro 4 GB and Air 8 GB have the same price. Don't ask why, stores here are crazy! And 8 GB RAM 1600 Mhz costs 100$.
    In both battery is non-replacable as far as I know. In both disk is upgradable.

Weird thing is that:
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Apple-MacBook-Pro-13-2-5-GHz-Mid-2012-Notebook.79640.0.html
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Apple-MacBook-Air-13-Mid-2012-Subnotebook.80041.0.html

in these reviews, benchmarks say that laptops are the same in 3DMarks, weird. And Pro gets 83% for screen, and Air 81%. I heard that angles and gamut are better in pro, but in pro I will get less lines of code than in Air.

23. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Pricing varies slightly outside the US, but it puzzles me that it's that different. if I compare the cheapest options for 13" Air and Pro, they come up identical with 8GB of ram. I'm going by the Apple Store for reference as it's the easiest. If you're that close on the two, it's unlikely that anyone can give you a meaningful reason to go with one over the other. It's morel likely to be "I use this" kind of reassurance. It's too bad you can't view both in person.

24. Luigi3 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, you've got the point. I've seen only Pro, and, well, I should see Air also to have a comparison.
    I knew you referred to Apple Store prices. Well, this is Europe baby! I don't buy in AS because there is none. :) Only some resellers. Their pricing are crazy.
    You're right, with my preferences there is not dealbreaker advantage in pro/air. But I'm thinking about that I will work with code and Internet also, and lines of code/website space is important, maybe more than gamut. I'm not sure, but this can be this thing that I'll decide to buy Air.
    But also I'm worried about that for Pro there are plenty cases, and Pro looks bulky, but also solid. Air is lovely, but fragile. I'm not going to throw laptop on the floor, but I'm going to take my laptop in case to backpack, go in bus, etc.

25. Blackberryroid macrumors 6502a

Blackberryroid

That explains a lot.