Screen And Ppi In The Iphone 3g

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Malixx, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Malixx macrumors newbie

Hey y'all!
    I've a question about the iphone 3g's screen. I heard that's LCD glass with 163 ppi. Someone said that is worst than the actual iPhone (160 ppi)..
    But why? It has a better resolution...
    I don't know...

Can you tell me something?

Thanks!!

2. Donz0r macrumors 6502a

this is discussed in length in a different thread,
    steve said in the keynote 'the same beautiful screen'
    i wouldn't be worried.

3. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

People said that because they are idiots and have exactly no idea what they're talking about.

If the screen is the same size and has the same resolution... it has the same PPI. It's INCREDIBLY simple math.

4. ramblintoad macrumors member

I don't understand it either... Doesn't PPI mean pixels per inch? So wouldn't the 3 extra pixels per inch of the iPhone 3G's screen be better?

5. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

Yes, but they're the same PPI. The old iPhone specs were most likely just rounded down.

6. elbirth macrumors 65816

also, the person that started the thread claiming that the the PPI difference was "proof" that the screen on the iPhone 3G is inferior to the original phone's was posting a bunch of non-sense that they had no idea about.

during the keynote Steve said it had the same screen as before even though the rest of the case had changed- I don't think he's ever really directly lied to us, so until it comes out and we have reason to believe otherwise, I would trust that. The only fishy business Steve does is tell half-truths a lot.. such as claiming that the iPhone 3G is such a huge discount in comparison to the original. Sure it is; he just fails to tell us that the service plan will cause us to pay more in the long run.

7. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

The thread that you heard it from was a weird thread.

The OP of that thread was referring how because the iPhone 3G's spec showed 163 ppi while the iPod Touch's specs was also 163 ppi, the iPhone 3G is worse than the original iPhone (because the iPod Touch's screen was deemed worse than the iPhone's screen)

First of all, 163 < 160 doesn't even make sense.

Second of all, just because the numbers match, doesn't mean the screen is the same (1.8 Ghz AMD != 1.8 Ghz Intel).

Third, the first iPhone's ppi was most likely rounded down.

Lastly, refer to the second point.

8. Malixx thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks so much!
    I'll buy it on July, 11.. :) unlocked .. here in Italy it costs 886$ (570€) the unlocked 16gb version, instead the unlocked 8gb version costs 715$ (460€).
    the locked 8gb version costs 309$ (199€) with the contract and the 16gb version costs 465$ (299€).

I've another question... but after is possible to install some programs on it through the installer?
    thanks again!!