Screen and Warranty??

Discussion in 'iMac' started by stefc93, Feb 16, 2010.

1. stefc93 macrumors regular

I have noticed some specks of dust between the actual screen and the glass panel on my 4 day old iMac. I called Apple (don't have the AppleCare plan) and asked them if my warranty would be voided if I were to remove just the glass panel. They said it would. They told me that I could bring it into an Apple store or to a certified Apple reseller/repair shop. However, I don't want to lug around my computer so I was wondering: will it actually void my warranty if I were to remove the glass panel in order to get the dust out?

Also, how would Apple know if I removed the glass panel?

2. wildbill macrumors newbie

The warranty's fine print says that a user at home should only be completing what apple calls user capable fixes. For an iMac that basically amounts to upgrading the system's RAM. So taking the glass off your iMac would void the warranty. That being said, there are no seals or anything that will be broken if you take the glass off, but if you do anything that might make it appear you took the glass off (a crack, fingerprints underneath) they could try and deny the warranty claim. They will still fix it, but they might try and make you pay for it.