Screen artifact right before the login screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sentinel101, Oct 26, 2014.

1. Sentinel101 macrumors newbie

Hi!

I have an early 2011 Macbook Pro 15" and for a month I've seen this screen artifact right before I get the login screen (see photo attached).

When it started I was using Lion 10.7.3, so I decided to upgrade to Maverics. I did a clean install, but the problem remains. Has anyone experienced something similar?

Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. Robotti macrumors regular

Robotti

I have something that looks like white noise filling the whole screen, right before the login screen. It lasts for about a second or less, and only comes up when waking up from a longer sleep. I don't remember when it started, maybe somewhere around Mavericks update. I haven't paid much attention, since it comes up fairly rarely (maybe twice a week) and there are no other display problems.

This is on a 15" rMBP mid 2012.

3. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Garbled Apple logo. Unless it gradually gets worse, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Probably will get worse, though, since it is over 3 years old after all, and only recently started happening.

4. Sentinel101, Oct 26, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2014

Sentinel101 thread starter macrumors newbie

For me it happens every time when I start up. I use sleep very rarely.

May it have something to do with the battery? Right about that time when I first saw that artifact I got a message to service battery. Right now my battery is so dead that it won't charge at all. Looking for a replacement right now.

5. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

Does your rMBP just lock up sometimes?

6. Robotti macrumors regular

Robotti

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

For 2011 MBPs this has been a sign that the GPU is starting to fail. I'd keep an eye on it, and see if the issue increases in severity.

There's been an uptick in 2012 owners stating similar issues, I've not come across anything yet on my rMBP. Some believe its more software based because it only started happening with Yosemite. Time will tell if its hardware or software, I don't think there's enough information yet to determine the cause.

8. Robotti macrumors regular

Robotti

Mine started already with Mavericks. But sometimes the mouse cursor is on top of the white noise and I can move it normally. That leads me to think it's not a HW failure.

9. Sentinel101 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just got feedback from Apple repair. Now it's clear that the GPU is causing my problems. They offered me to replace the logic board (600€), but I'll skip that as of now. As I have read, the logic board replacement doesn't resolve the issue. Let's see, maybe Apple still acknowledges the issue and offers some solutions (http://www.macrumors.com/2014/10/28/macbook-pro-2011-graphics-lawsuit/).