Screen artifacting when cold, nVidia or display?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Teej guy, Aug 15, 2009.

1. Teej guy macrumors 6502a

Whenever my SR 2.6 15" MBP is cold, the display is really trashed for a couple minutes until it warms up. This just started within the last couple of days.

Symptoms are:

-Flickering
    -Screen goes negative in a sort of "wash" from the top to the bottom, image remains but slowly fades out until the whole screen is grey/purple.
    -When the above symptom happens, sometime all
    -Dotted pattern appears over image
    -Lines when I move the screen

I've tried taking screen shots using command-shift-4 and they look fine.
    Also, once the computer is warm, there are no further problems except the image shifting up or down with artifacts if I physically move the screen. This symptom completely goes away once the computer is hotter.

Do these points suggest a display/display connection issue rather than the nVidia problem? I've gone through that twice, but both times it was the completely dead blank screen issue instead of the artifacting one.

Cheers

2. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

3. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...my Toshiba 1905-s303 does that also but its ~8 yrs old with an intergrated 32mb video card in it... I just figured it was the "old" display panel... once it warms up, there's no more issues.

4. Teej guy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Even with the artifacts caused by moving the screen?

5. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I figured you meant static ones. Perhaps it is the screen. Do you have any external monitors? The easiest way to check would be hook up an external display when the computer is cold. If there are artifacts then it is the GPU otherwise it is your LCD.

6. Teej guy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ah, of course! Unfortunately I probably won't be able to do that for a week or so, but I certainly will try it asap.

7. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

its the video.

i have never seen a monitor artifact...they get lines and bad pixels....but i have never seen one artifact.

bad video card...replace it up.

8. Teej guy thread starter macrumors 6502a

The more I think about it, the more I'm thinking it's the screen or the screen connector. Why would moving the screen produce lines/image shift on the screen if it was the graphics card?

9. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

it may be both by the sounds of it....the screen will produce lines, graphics card produces graphic "blocking" and "triangulation"

looks like your due for a replacement too...

10. Teej guy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hmm, could be both, yeah.

I'm going to be aiming for a replacement. I'm going to push for a 17" since I need an express card slot. I've heard a case of someone being able to pay the difference between the replacement Apple offered and the 17" since they wanted a matte screen (before the recent update). Hopefully I'll be able to do the same, or I'll have a machine which is basically useless to me.

11. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

sure...your looking at him....

i had 15" replaced and paid 300 cad for a new 17" umbp....i recieved it about 2 weeks ago....apple bumped me up to the 2599 model and let me choose if i wanted to pay more for a even bigger 17"

here he is....crappy pic....bad lighting...lol

Attached Files:

12. Teej guy thread starter macrumors 6502a

HA, fantastic! Glad you're enjoying your new machine, hopefully I'll be in the same boat soon...