Screen backlight problem

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by FloridaStateJen, Jul 14, 2011.

1. FloridaStateJen macrumors newbie

Over the past year or so, my 3 year old Macbook (purchased in January 2008) has acquired a glitch, which has progressively worsened. That is, in the open position, the backlight would turn off behind the screen. Shining a light onto the screen showed that the computer was still on and functional, and shifting the screen just slightly would turn the backlight back on. As I said before, this problem continued to occur and gradually worsened, to the point that there were very few positions (as in, inches from the keyboard) that the desktop would be visible.

I made the mistake of taking the computer into a local computer repair shop several weeks ago. I'm pretty sure they are incompetent and have little business sense, but I'll outline what they said they tried.

First, it was diagnosed as a problem with the cable. Replacing that didn't work, nor did changing out the bulb, the inverter, or the screen. By process of elimination, they told me yesterday that the problem is likely being caused by a malfunction with the logic board. When I picked up the computer today, the screen is completely black, and the backlight won't come on in any position, leading me to believe that they actually made the problem worse.

Given their serious lack of judgment regarding keeping me informed about the repair process and several other irritating situations that led to me getting my now more broken computer back after 3 1/2 weeks, I wanted a few second opinions.

(Don't worry--I didn't pay them a cent).

Thanks for any insight!

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

I agree with their very first diagnosis: bad inverter cable. Probably what happened is they replaced it with a bad cable instead of a known-good cable, and that messed up their diagnosis. I've never seen the symptom you've just described not be the cable.

3. FloridaStateJen thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the response! OK, that helps. Would it be worth taking to an Apple store, do you think? I'm wary of independent shops now, haha....