Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mixart

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
I'd love to have an iMac as a desktop to replace my 2011 PC, because I want to study at a graphic design school in 2014 and they all use Macbook Pro laptops there.

But today I saw the new Imac next to Macbook Pro Retina in a store and the Retina screen look stunning to me. Not only by the details clean screen, but also the colors, where the Imac looks more "boring".

Does the Imac just needed to be calibrated or why is there so big different in color?

Sorry for my bad english - from Demmark.

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
I have both a Retina MBP and the new 27" iMac, and honestly, the screen on the Retina MBP is simply amazing to look at. It is beautiful and I have not seen another laptop as stunning to look at and use, as simple as that. The iMac screen looks great too, but next to the retina mbp, it can look a little washed out. It is possible to calibrate the iMac screen, but I have not, yet.

I would base your decision on what is important, will you be needing screen real estate, or is portability and that retina display more important?

mixart

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
I have both a Retina MBP and the new 27" iMac, and honestly, the screen on the Retina MBP is simply amazing to look at. It is beautiful and I have not seen another laptop as stunning to look at and use, as simple as that. The iMac screen looks great too, but next to the retina mbp, it can look a little washed out. It is possible to calibrate the iMac screen, but I have not, yet.

I would base your decision on what is important, will you be needing screen real estate, or is portability and that retina display more important?

For the Macbook Pro Retina I can wait until August in 2014, where the school starts. Right know I sit front of an old LaCie 21.3" and a fast PC (SB Intel 3.4Ghz, 8GB, 128GB SSD) and I cant desire, whether I should go for the new Imac 27" or wait for the Imac Retina, if it is coming in 2013/2014.

I just would had, if I buy the new one and an Imac Retina comes later this year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.