Screen bent Part II

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Optimus Primes, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Optimus Primes macrumors member

Well I got a replacement for my 15' and now this one seems good but I noticed two things,

if looked at from behind the gap on the right side of the black strip is a mm more than on the left side.

2) the power button seems a tiny bit flimsy.

Keep it or not?

2. rmbrown09 macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

I would say good luck getting a replacement with only those issues.

3. Optimus Primes thread starter macrumors member

I dont know maybe they will. But I guess I will just keep it. I have a years of warranty if I run into trouble I can always get it fixed.

4. Jottle macrumors 6502

The lid on my new mbp is slightly uneven (1-2 mm) on the left. So it closes, but there's a larger gap on the right versus the left. I said "f" it. I've been waaay too crazy about minor defects in the past, and all it ended up getting me was another mbp with another minor defect. You exchange machines and you open yourself up to receiving one with dead pixels on the screen or something else. Who knows what. If it's a slight cosmetic issue, I'd say keep it.

5. Relznuk macrumors 6502

Relznuk

This has been my experience also. If you get something that works for you, and has only minor issues that you'll really never notice, it's not even worth your time to make the exchange. You might be out a laptop for a bit, and besides, it takes a couple hours of your time. If you make $20 an hour, that's $40 - is it really worth that to repair a minor cosmetic quibble?

6. Ride9650 macrumors 6502

While it might not be worth your time trying to get a replacement, the store should be able to adjust the screen so that its seated properly, assuming the unevenness is really noticeable.

As to the power button, thats something I definitely wouldn't worry about.

7. Optimus Primes thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I am not too bothered by the screen but the power button is sort of 'loose'. It moves in its place. Anybody else?

8. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

thats a bad analogy. if he works for hourly pay, he would likely get fired for skipping a shift, or he would go at a time when he's off like a weekend.

9. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

You can try going to the store, see what they say; however, from your description, it seems that the problems are non life threatening;).

10. Jottle macrumors 6502

If you open up the bottom of your mbp, you'll see that there are 3 screws on each side of the screen that hold the lid in place. If you're so inclined, you could loosen them and see if you can reposition the screen slightly. But it's likely that the 1mm difference is a small manufacturing tolerance (mine has this as well). You won't be able to adjust the vertical gap between the case and the lid, but you may be able to adjust a horizontal gap in the screen between the left and right side. Sorry, I really can't explain it well without pictures. Essentially, you can only adjust the gap between the black clutch cover and the edges of the part of the mbp that houses the keyboard (case)

11. Jottle macrumors 6502

Also, now that I read your first post. You said "a mm." That's an awful tiny amount of space for something you can only see while looking at the back! I wouldn't sweat it, but to each his own.

12. doktordoris macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

Good grief, I got my first ever Mac yesterday.
    And I love it and think it is splendid. But if there was an easily observable imperfection it would have disappointed me greatly. I paid way over the odds for my notebook because it was a macbook and brilliant.

doris

13. Optimus Primes thread starter macrumors member

I reread my post and I think I wasn't clear about what I said. I meant the gap between the screen and the unibody is more on the right of the black strap than on the right.

14. mousouchop macrumors 6502a

mousouchop

I believe this is normal. Mine is sorta giggly. If I rub my finger over it, side to side, I can feel/hear it moving slightly side to side.

Who gives a crap really? I think I have pressed the power button < 10 times since I have had my MBP (bought it last October).

I also have the gaping on one side of the screen. Just use the computer and don't obsess. :D