Screen Blackouts for late 2013 rMBP's...screen blanks out!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ducatiti, Nov 20, 2013.

1. ducatiti, Nov 20, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2013

ducatiti macrumors 6502a

So I was downloading torrents via Windows 8.1/Fusion, encoding a video on Handbrake, and surfing the net and had 700,000+ page outs. I have a late 13 rmbp 2.4/8/256.

The page outs aren’t my concern though. I trust the way Mavericks handles Ram. My screen blacked out while I was actively typing a few times and eventually turning on after a few seconds. Display did not go to sleep because I was typing. It did not turn on when I kept on typing. I just had to wait. This happened three or four times. Has this happened to any of you? Virus? Hardware problem?

2. raptor402 macrumors 6502

Hello, ducatiti

My father has been experience screen blackouts on his Mid 2012 15" rMBP on Mountain Lion. They occur randomly (while surfing the web on Chrome or while using the Mail app). His RAM usage is minimal (5-8 tabs on Chrome, Mail app, Office 2011, etc.). No modifications either, hardware or software.

My brother had been using the laptop till 2013 and I don't think he had any such issues, which leads me to believe that it's a hardware error. Nevertheless, I plan to do a fresh Mavericks install on the laptop to confirm.

Regards
    Raptor

3. ducatiti thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for sharing. To be honest, I thought that I was being hacked due to the version of Windows I have ;)

Will wait to hear for more replies before I decide to return it.

4. raptor402 macrumors 6502

I just investigated a bit. My father has been experience 5-10 blackouts a day. My brother never experienced them. From what I could find, Chrome might be the cause (in concurrence, my brother stuck to Safari). Do you use Chrome? Try Safari for a day and see if you get any blackouts.

Regards
    Raptor

5. ducatiti thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just an update. I have not experienced this anymore.