Screen blacks out when changing the screen angle

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by philipxz, Sep 9, 2010.

1. philipxz macrumors regular

philipxz

Original title: Screen blacks out while Xcode is running

The Xcode thing is unconfirmed, but it only seems to do it while it's running at random times. It started just yesterday, and I thought a reboot would fix it.

I'm running Xcode and I'm encountering the issue again. First, the screen would get dotty until the screen is made completely illegible by blacking out.

2. philipxz thread starter macrumors regular

philipxz

I found out that it's not related Xcode at all. When I change the the screen angle it does it. :(

The screen becomes grayish and starts to black out slowly. When I slightly nudge the screen angle it comes back to normal with the screen flickering until it settles.

3. tsuru macrumors member

I have the same problem with my aluminum MacBook 2.0Ghz. The screen starts fading out into grey then becomes a "negative" then settles into a darker grey. I've found that pressing on the left side of the screen stops the fading but it often returns as soon as I let go of the screen. Because I can stop the problem just by pressing the screen it seems to be a hardware issue (perhaps the display connection?). Because it's not constant I've just been putting up with it but I would really like to get it fixed if the cost isn't huge. Anyone else had this issue and had it repaired? How much did it cost?

4. Pax macrumors 6502a

Probably the cables that run through the hinge. There are at least two LCD cables
    - one for the LCD data itself which generates the "picture" you see
    - one for the backlight, LED or cold cathode fluorescent depending on model

If the "picture" goes wrong, it's the data cable. If the picture is constant but the backlight (brightness) goes up and down, it's the backlight cable

The cables are quite cheap, but swapping them is a bear, you basically have to gut the computer completely to get into the hinge. Depending on your level of electronics skill you may have to consult a Mac-friendly technician. At a wild guess I'd say $250 to fix this one.....

5. philipxz thread starter macrumors regular

philipxz

Yes, that's exactly like my case. After becoming gray, the screen colors would become inverted (command + option + control + 8) and slightly black out. I don't know the exact angle but it only happens between 45 - 50 degree angles.

My MacBook is no longer under warranty. It would be a relief if it's just a cable issue, I hope it's not the whole screen or the logic board failing.

6. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

The inverter cable is defective and needs to be replaced. Common issue. .)

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't see that it was a unibody. Whole LCD for that too, then..

Whole LCD needs to be replaced for this, it's a clamshell part. Might get expensive =/

7. philipxz thread starter macrumors regular

philipxz

Do you know what might cause this? I've been really careful with it and it's less than 2 years old. Not too happy.

8. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I agree with Heilage, change the inverter board if possible. I haven't taken apart a unibody yet, so don't know what's involved.