Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jsimonnola

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2018
I have an iPad Pro 2018 and since updating to iPadOS 14 I’ve noticed the screen randomly ”blinks” black primarily when watching video content. While using the Kindle app the screen often goes completely black. Touching the screen returns it to the Kindle content. Anyone else?

Pimptastic

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2006
Up North, UK
YES!

I have noticed this today since upgrading to iOS14.

Seen it in both the iPlayer app and the Sky Go app, so not related to one specific app.

iPad Pro 2020 11”

Jsimonnola

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2018
YES!

Seen it in both the iPlayer app and the Sky Go app, so not related to one specific app.

iPad Pro 2020 11”
YES!

iPad Pro 2020 11”
I see it on AT&T TV and Rumble (a video streaming app). Not so much on YouTube. Perhaps there is something in 14’s video that has to be updated in apps. The strangest one is still Kindle which goes completely black, and returns by touching the screen

Pimptastic

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2006
Up North, UK
It doesnt seem to happen when using Picture in Picture, just full screen. I havent timed it but it seems like it happens every couple of minutes.

I will keep an eye out for the issue in other apps.

Whats your experience regarding the frequency of the blinks?

Jsimonnola

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2018
Same as you. Blinks occur every minute or so, but not on a regular sequence. I also have an iPhone Xs and DO NOT see the issue on it.

Reactions: Pimptastic

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
this happens alot with radeon graphics when the gpu memory clock goes from a very low idle state to higher clocks . I wonder if it's related to that...

rsfrid

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2020
Michigan
Kindle reader app is just about unusable. I have turned off updates for my iPad air so I have something to use Kindle reader on. My iPad Pro 12.9” is affected by this.

gsucyclist

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2014
I have an 2020 11" iPad Pro and I have been seeing this when using Zwift. It just flickers for a second every so often. I'm hoping its a bug and not my ipad?

gsucyclist

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2014
I did send Apple a bug report although I'm sure they are probably already aware. It made me feel better though :D

Pimptastic

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2006
Up North, UK
Anyone updated to 14.0.1 and seen an improvement.

Just watched iPlayer for 10 mins and not noticed any blinking. Will give it a longer test later

gsucyclist

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2014
I didn't notice it this morning while using Zwift. Usually its starts up right after I open the app, but did not notice it once for 60+ minutes I was using it

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
I have an iPad Pro 2018 and since updating to iPadOS 14 I’ve noticed the screen randomly ”blinks” black primarily when watching video content. While using the Kindle app the screen often goes completely black. Touching the screen returns it to the Kindle content. Anyone else?
I sometimes get this on FaceTime (the small video that shows me). I've not asked the person I'm chatting with whether they notice it, but they're the sort of person who'd complain straight away, so I assume it's not being transmitted.

iOS 14.2 beta 1, which I believe was forked from the last 14.0 beta. (I'm not a developer; "fork" sounds trendy but might not be the right word :) )

Tony_YYZ

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2015
I thought this was an iOS 14.2 beta bug. I notice it in Plex with every video.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.