Screen brightness goes to 100% when coming back

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by sabre364, Aug 10, 2008.

1. sabre364 macrumors member

I usually have my screen brightness set to a few ticks above the lowest, but when my screen shuts off (after 3 mins or whatever I have it set to in the control panel) and gets turned on again, the brightness is set to max. If I then drop the brightness by one tick, it drops to where it was set before.

It doesnt do this when I close the lid but it does go to full brightness when I restart the computer and as I enter the windows desktop it goes back to what it was set at.

Is this normal?

2. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

There are a ton of dimming problems with Boot Camp. When dimming, the last 2 blocks are the same brightness. The backlight (on MacBook Pros) doesn't turn all the way off when turned down. And yes, when coming back from sleep/screen turning off due to activity the brightness is at full blast. Boot Camp has a lot of issues (not to mention Windows 64-bit issues on pre-2008 Macs). I hope Snow Leopard really fixes all these.

3. sabre364 thread starter macrumors member

Ok, just checking.

I had not seen the backlight on the keyboard till I hard re-booted today when it just popped on. now I think its on 24/7, it hasnt turned off since it went on. :confused: I can turn it down, but its still on draining my battery. Also, I think I have to turn it down from 100% every time I turn it on.

4. sunnysheth macrumors newbie

Solved!

I have been experiencing this same issue (very annoying) on my Mid/Late 2007 MacBook Pro. Installing the Boot Camp 3.1 update from Jan 19, 2010 seems to have fixed the bug of "screen brightness getting set to full/max/100% after turning on/waking from 'turn off display' power-save mode", most likely due to the updated Nvidia driver and bootcamp.exe.

The other thing about it doing that on a restart is because the boot camp application which stores and controls this setting doesn't run as a windows service (i.e. not under machine credentials) but instead under user credentials. So only when a user logs in and bootcamp.exe starts is when the screen brightness goes to what it was set at before the restart.

Hope this helps.