Screen Brightness/Google Maps Bug?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Jalopybox, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Jalopybox macrumors 6502a

Jalopybox

On multiple iphone 5's I notice while using Google Maps navigation feature, the brightness drops to almost the lowest setting after a while of navigation and is left there even after closing the app. Doesn't matter if auto brightness is enabled or not. Anyone else notice this?

2. rt5 macrumors newbie

Yes, I've noticed the same issue on my iPhone 5, which started happening in the last O.S. update or two (I'm currently running 6.1.3). It's always after I've begun using the Google Maps app, and after maybe 1 minute, whether I have Auto-Brightness enabled or not, my screen automatically dims to its minimum value. I can raise the brightness of course under settings, but then it just happens again 1-2 minutes later! I've closed the Google Maps app but it continues to be an issue, but seems to go away after shutting the iPhone down and then restarting.

I've never noticed this happening other than after using the Google Maps app, and never with any other app. Very strange, but highly annoying (and dangerous, as I'm typically driving when this happens, and it takes some time to get the brightness back up).

3. BiggAW macrumors 68020

Yeah, I've had the same thing, and I just found this thread in a search for the issue. This is a MAJOR usability bug. I expect to go to full brightness and stay there while navigating, as the screen is basically dark, especially in the sun when I'm driving around during the day. I'm almost thinking about using Apple Maps until Google fixes this, THAT's how bad this is!

4. BiggAW macrumors 68020