Screen brightness hype on new MBP's?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MBX, Apr 19, 2017.

1. MBX macrumors 68000

Hey, I noticed so many saying the new MBP's have much brighter screens. Even those reviewers on YouTube saying how amazing and much brighter it was.

When I checked them out in the Apple store and now that I own a nTB MBP 13'' myself I don't see such a drastic increase in brightness.

Next to my 2014 Mb-Air it's not such a huge increase when I have it at full brightness.

So what gives? Because I was expecting having to put my new MBP's screen much lower for the same max brightness on the Air but it's not like it at all. More like only 1-2 notches lower :(

2. Sanpete macrumors 68020

The 2014 MBA can have a pretty bright screen, measured at 342 nits in one review, though others measured lower. Even so, you should notice a clear difference at full brightness. Huge? I don't know about that.

You should also notice a clear improvement in contrast, which is more useful in most settings.

3. jerryk macrumors 68040

Take both outside. The new units are pretty readable. In comparison, my 2015 rMBP 15 washes out in any direct sunlight.

4. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

An explanation I wrote a few months ago regarding brightness confusion on the new MacBook Pros - the third point is relevent here. :)

5. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Has anyone tested this?

6. MBX thread starter macrumors 68000

Oh now that makes sense. Thanks!

7. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

Not empirically, but I have experienced it visually.

(DisplayMate have the numbers for the iPhone 7, however:
    )

8. lambertjohn macrumors 6502a

I agree. Put my wife's 2016 Macbook Pro 13 NTB next to my 2015 Macbook Pro 15, and I can barely tell the difference in screen brightness. Only when both computers are set at their highest setting, can I see a slight increase in the brightness on her 13". Still prefer my 15" over hers any day of the year!

9. MBX thread starter macrumors 68000

It's true that it's brighter and better contrasts outside especially.

But the reflections/ glare on the MBP's compared to the matte screen on the MB-Air make it very hard to see.

Such a shame there's no more matte screen option.