Screen brightness on MBP after LASIK - big difference.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sn0warmy, Nov 23, 2009.

1. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

I've been wearing contacts all my life in order to get 20/20 vision. And until last week I always had to have my brightness on the highest setting while I was at the office with fairly bright overhead lighting. while using the computer at home with the lights off/dim, I still had to have the brightness set to 4 bars shy of the brightest setting in order to see everything properly. And I never understood when I would see people on here saying they had their brightness set to the lowest settings and it was plenty bright for them to see.

Last friday I had LASIK done. And since the surgery I now have 20/15 vision in both eyes, which was expected. But one thing I did not expect was the difference in brightness. Now in the same office setting I have the brightness set to 40-50% brightness and it's still almost to bright. And at home I set the brightness level to 1 bar and it's more than enough to see every detail on the screen. In fact, I now wish there was a lower brightness setting than the lowest bar.

The best part is that, while running on battery, I can now get another 30-40 minutes out of usage with the brightness set so much lower.

Now if I could just figure out how to get my volume to not jump to 70% when I plug my headphones in I would be very pleased.

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

Congrats on the Lasik and extra battery life :p About the headphones, does it happen every time you plug them in? Isn't OS X supposed to remember your volume setting for headphones and switch automatically to the last setting when plugging them in (independent of speaker volume setting)?

3. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

Yeah, it should. That's what happens when I plug in my monitor headphones, it defaults back to the last volume level I had it on.

4. hippo206 macrumors 6502

lol the ad at the bottom of the page when writing this post is for lasik :rolleyes:

5. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

A free Pref Pane called "Shades" can dim your screen further than the default Apple setting.

6. sn0warmy thread starter macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

haha wtf? It's still there. Google is so sneaky.

Thanks. But yeah it's the weirdest damn thing. My headphone jack works only after I plug my headphones in 2 times. the first time I plug them in they are not recognized. the second time they work but the volume shoots up to 50%-70% every time. It did this with leopard and it does it with Snow Leopard. Maybe I should take it into the Apple Store.

Wow, thanks. I'm gonna try that.

7. macshill macrumors 6502

macshill

wow, 'tis. omg, that's spooky! :eek: lmao

8. skorpien macrumors 68020

Gotta love google ads. The inadvertently inappropriate ones are always the best.

OP - Yeah you should definitely get that checked out. It seems more of a hardware issue than an OS/drivers one. That's not normal behaviour at all.

9. kgallag1 macrumors member

LASIK surgery

One thing to note about LASIK. Your eyes will likely be somewhat hyper-sensitive to light for the next little while. They just underwent major surgery, however brief the experience may seem (I had it done about 5 years ago).

You may find that the excessive brightness you are experiencing will diminish over the next few months as the lens continues to completely bond to the eye, and your eyes finish healing. I found it took me about 2-3 months for my eyes to stop being so sensitive.

10. Takashi macrumors regular

You might want to protect your eyes. Bright light can hurt your eyes.

11. sn0warmy thread starter macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

Yeah, every day everything appears a tad sharper and the brightness does not affect me nearly as much as it did the first few days. But I'm still wearing pretty dark sunglasses whenever I'm outside and room lighting is always kept to a minimum.

But yeah, I think I'm going to make an appointment with the local apple store to get the laptop checked out.

12. cjacks68 macrumors regular

cjacks68

My headphones do the same thing, kind of annoying, but I've learned to live with it.

13. sn0warmy thread starter macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

Just took it into the Apple Store and the Genius told me it was something wrong with the logic board. They want me to leave the computer there so they can replace it under warranty. But the turnaround time is 5-7 business days.

I'm not willing to go without my computer for 5+ days over such a minor issue, especially because I need it for work. It looks like I'll just be living with the issue.