Screen Brightness Problem After 10.6.7 Update

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by cardreader, Jun 15, 2011.

1. cardreader macrumors newbie

My Intel BlackBook 13" has developed a screen brightness problem after installing 10.6.7 using Software Update. The computer has never been dropped or abused in any way. The screen does not flicker or disappear when changing the viewing angle.
    The Problem: After the update, when waking from sleep, the screen went black. Over the last few days (after performing all of the customary mac troubleshooting and resets) a pattern has emerged. From a cold start in the morning, everything runs normal but the screen is black. To see the login window I can reset the brightness (F1) and then press the (F2) once and I can see the dimly lit login window enough to login. When at the desktop, if I try the F2 beyond about 3 or 4 presses the screen goes black and I have to reset to zero again and then F2 brings the screen back to the low illumination. As the day goes on I can get the screen to a brighter and brighter level before blacking out again. My screen appears brighter than ever after a few hours but will not hold that max brightness for long until black again.
    I have 1) reset the PRAM and SMC, 2) Booted from the Original and repaired permissions and HD from Disk Utility 3) ran the Hardware test and 4) researched the problem extensively noting that most screen problems are associated with the MBP rather than the MB. Of course the MB uses integrated graphics unlike the MBP. I'm not sure what prefs I could trash and perhaps someone has some insight into that. Everything appears ok from the tests but the problem persists.

2. cardreader thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm beginning to think its a hardware problem and that 10.6.7 update was just a coincidence. It takes a while to warm up using the above procedure and then after hours of gradually getting the brightness to max it will hold the max brightness. I guess that might indicate the screen and bulb are okay. Has anyone had any success in changing out the inverter?

3. rdparris macrumors newbie

not a hardware problem

others are having the same issue. I have a Macbook Air 11 only a couple months old that is now exhibiting the same dark screen issue after being put to sleep a few hours. Only happened since the update and others are starting to report the same thing on the Mac forums. Not a hardware issue. Something to do with the sleep mode since the last update. If anyone else has the same issue or has a solution please post.