screen brightness setting

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Alex23, May 16, 2011.

1. Alex23 macrumors newbie

Hello folks,

I'm working on a MacPro with an Old Cinema display monitor. I've tried adjusting the brightness of the screen but there is no setting.

System preference/display or energy saver there is no bar with a knob to be adjusted. Is there a way I can do that in ColorSync Utility instead ?

Thanks for reading !

2. kostia macrumors regular

How old is the Cinema Display in question? Is it one of the early flat panel ones, with the special ADC connector, or the even older CRT beasts, or something else?

It's been a long time but on my old Cinema Display (early flat panel, with ADC) there was a brightness button on the front of the monitor itself. Holding this button down (not just pushing it once) set the screen brightness. Does that work on yours?

3. Alex23 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey,

The screen is the one with the ADC connection I believe. It's plugged in a video card in the MacPro. The screen has a button for brightness but it doesn't work no brightness control appear when I touch. I think it might have to do with the settings of the video card.

Alex

4. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

Not quite as straight-forward as just changing the brightness, but you can calibrate your display, which includes brightness, with system preferences->display->color tab->calibrate

Also, on some displays there is a brightens slider on the display tab. On my MBP, I see the brightness slider for the internal display, but not for the cheap external viewsonic.

5. Alex23 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey,

Calibrating monitor in preference doesn't help. The only preference you get choice on is changing the white balance.

An their is no slide on monitor pref unfortunately.

Thanks anyhow.