Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

j.leson

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 8, 2010
I usually have my brightness set to max, with auto brightness on. I was wondering if anyone knew how much battery I'd save (a rough percent estimate), if I set my brightness to 75%, 50% etc.

What do you guys have your screen brightness set to?

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America
I usually have my brightness set to max, with auto brightness on. I was wondering if anyone knew how much battery I'd save (a rough percent estimate), if I set my brightness to 75%, 50% etc.

What do you guys have your screen brightness set to?

I have set around 60-70% with auto control on. It runs at max during the day and mine easily last all day. I use Goodreader,iBooks,my company's app which use data,Safari,Mail and Dropbox. I constantly use all of these during the day. Usually 12 hour work days. At least I can get trough the day with no problems. At best it'll last me 2 days.

If your gaming then that takes huge power to run. If your using it for business you won't have issues.

PrometheusGeek

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2012
You'll save a TON of battery if you set it to 50% or just slightly over. The screen backlighting places the greatest draw on the battery. I read somewhere that the charger has trouble keeping up with the battery drainage when it's maxed out. Dunno if that's true... But I keep mine at 50% and easily surpass the 10hr mark.

number84

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2011
I'm surprised how many ppl leave theirs on max setting. Is it you are in very bright surroundings? I have mine at about 55-60%. I get about 2 days with mine between charges with 3G and wifi on all the time.

Lunchb0x8

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Quirindi, NSW, AU
I keep mine at about 20-35% indoors, I barely use it outdoors, so the brightness is pefect for me to watch meia at night, play games during the day and read whenever.

Sometimes, I ramp the brightness up to 60% for reading, just to get the full benefit of how beautiful the screen is.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
The battery life compared to my iPad 2 is rather dismal.

Yet I've never given much weight to battery run times on any of my pads, pods, MacBooks or phones. I'd rather set mine for max performance, 75% brightness & just enjoy it. Plugging in doesn't bother me at all.

The new iPad is very nice. A bit over hyped when it comes to the display, I'd categorize it as refined, not "Resolutionary".

For those that are still wondering, I cannot in good conscience say it's a big enough upgrade to be a must have. Keep enjoying your iPad 2, till you can easily afford to upgrade.

I bet next years will be cooler, have the charging bugs worked out, and be the one to have :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.