Screen Brightness

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Delorean2006, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Delorean2006 macrumors 6502a

Hi Everybody,

I just got my AW Series 2. This is my first Apple Watch and I was just wondering, how bright do you guys keep your watch at? I don't want to kill my battery life by leaving it too bright and on a daily basis what brightness is good for being indoors, outside and well just good on a daily basis? Right now I have mine set at the default middle setting.

2. Mr.Blacky macrumors regular

Apple Watch 1 here (the very first)! I had the brightness on full at first, then reduced it to rhe middle setting. Since I didn't noticed any better battery life, I switched back to full brightness.

3. Luba macrumors 65816

Luba

I have it on full and battery is better than AW0 by, say 25-33%, but I haven't used the GPS though.

I keep all my screens at full brightness because I like the way it looks although I know I take a significant hit on battery life, especially on laptops. I could probably adjust to a lower setting but like knowing it's on "full blast" for the best looking screen.

4. Bob190 macrumors 6502

I wouldn't overthink it. Keep at it whatever you can see the best. You are still going to have to charge it everyday regardless of the setting. I have mine at full brightness since it allows for the screen to be most visible when I need it, especially outside. Whether you get 19 hours on full brightness or 20 hours on moderate brightness doesn't really make that much of a difference in real world use.

5. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

6. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

Had my Gen 0 on full brightness once I realised the battery wasn't as shocking as everyone thought. Now I have my SS S2, that's on full brightness too. Took it off the charger at 7.30 this morning and still on 86%

7. Delorean2006 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I was keeping it on the middle setting but I'm going to switch to max brightness. I can't believe how little of a hit the battery takes on max brightness. Thank you all for the advice!

8. Tony_YYZ macrumors member

I had mine at medium then moved it to the lowest and didn't notice much of a visibility difference.

9. tivoboy macrumors 68030

I keep it on full at all times. granted this isn't FULL FULL with the AW2, that will only show up in direct light or sunlight.

I always had my AW0 on full and didn't have a problem. that light sensor does a good job adjusting.. it's not always technically full (and I'm not talking again the FULL FULL) but it adjusts down and up based on relative ambient light.

I don't think one is going to save too much battery either way, I think it's more a subjective setting.

10. Vihzel macrumors 6502

I'm a little bit confused. Shouldn't the AW automatically adjust brightness with its ambient light sensor?

11. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

It does but it seems that it is relatively the same adjustment no matter what brightness setting you have it on.

[theory] Have not tested but I bet it just limits peak brightness levels in bright daylight. For instance on a S2 set on minimum all will be the same inside. However it will possibly only drive to 300 or 400 nits in bright daylight.[/theory]

12. tivoboy macrumors 68030

Hmm, I haven't done a scientific test (don't have a device for that) but I think the setting adjust the regular peak, but the SHINE A LIGHT ON IT peak is still the max.. it only stays on that for a VERY short time, and goes to dark very quickly. like 100 ms quickly.