Screen Brightness....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Empyre, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Empyre macrumors member

Hello all, I have a late 2008 MBP and Been playing around with screen brightness and was wondering if having the screen brightness on full will "wear out" the LEDs quicker or something like that, or will they always be as bright, or negligibly dull from having the brightness set at maximum? I like the brightness all the way up, reduces glare from the screen a little and looks better, so I just thought I would ask if this has any long term effects on the actual screen.

Thanks!

2. loganpyle macrumors member

sorry i can't really help you, but i've also been wondering about this. opposed to everyone else, i think the screen looks brilliant when it's at max.

3. sfroom macrumors regular

I'm wondering the same thing. I think that running ccfl backlights at full brightness would wear them out faster, but I don't think the same is true of LEDs. I always run my display two squares from full anyways though.

4. Kane.Elson macrumors regular

The lifespan of a LED is about 5-10 years generally but varies manufacturer to manufacturer and they get better all the time but lifespan of LEDs is measured to 50% of original capacity not 0%. You would have to determine what model LEDs apple uses in its displays to get an accurate idea of lifespan...

But to answer your question yes running LEDs at higher voltages will decrease lifespan but at the same time it's not really noticeable unless you exceed the rated voltage or "Overdrive" it as this produces excess heat etc... The other consideration is that LEDs are very cheap in comparison so even if you do wear them out somehow it won't be very difficult or that expensive to replace the backlight.

5. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

Umm, aren't we dealing with Apple here?

6. Empyre thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for the replies, I doubt I will have my MBP for more than 5 years before I get a replacement, I'm typically buying computer related things a lot of the time....Sounds like LEDs last quite a while so I won't worry too much about it