Screen Broke--Easiest way to Repair/Replace?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by trajen, Oct 6, 2008.

1. trajen macrumors 6502a

I dropped my iPhone, the screen is totally cracked to ****, but it still works.

I called the Apple store and they said they could replace the screen for $250.

I checked eBay and cracked-screen 1st gens go for $120-ish. NIB go for as much as $700, cheapest I could find was $380.

Since I've unlocked for T-Mobile, my plan is this: I'm going to buy the $70 Apple Care iPhone extended warranty, wait a few weeks and then call the Apple store again and make an appointment regarding my iPhone's battery, which has not been able to keep a good charge lately. As I enter the store I will freak out and explain that I just barely dropped the phone, and since my issue was regarding the battery in the first place, they will replace it for me.

I know it's dishonest to a certain extent, but charging $250 for a cracked screen is an effin joke!

Has anyone else experienced a screen breaking? If so, what did you do?

2. Gospelfrances macrumors newbie

mmmm i don't think they are gonna replace it with you using it with tmobile, i used to have an unlocked iphone 2g( also usign with tmobile) and one day it stop working, what i did was to go to an apple store and the genius told me that I had to activated it with at&t which I did and they replace it. ( the reason that my iphone stop working was that i was trying to remove the sim and by mistake i put the needle in the audio jack and it stop working the touchscreen upps)

3. trajen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Do you speak English? All I have to tell them is that I canceled my at&t account and only use the phone for browsing and emailing and listening to music. :rolleyes:

4. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

Dude watch your tone he wuz trying to help you... Begger's cant be choosers. It pays just to buy a new phone. Most of the cost of the phone is the LCD display.

5. trajen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Will they repair mine for $250 even though I unlocked it? I guess I should just restore it and pop out the t-mobile sim.