Screen Broken. Can't Tell If MBP Is Booting?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Scazza, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Scazza, Jan 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2012

Scazza macrumors member

Hi All

Looking for some help here!

Recently I dropped my MBP (2006 Core2Duo) and it smashed the screen so nothing is displayed. I ordered a replacement and fitted the new LCD Screen, however it was DOA (I am currently sorting out returning it).

In the mean time I purchased a DVi-HMDI adapter to see if I could use my MBP with my HDTV! I've searched high and low to resolve the issue of the MBP not recognising the HDTV and not displaying a Mirror Image or going in to 'Shell Mode' when I close the lid.

So I am wondering if the MBP is actually booting and how I can find this out?! When I dropped the MBP it was still working as I could hear FB Chat notifications going off. But now, when I press the Power Button I get the standard Apple Chime but I am not sure whether it is booting or not. I have a strong incline that it isn't because if I power it up, leave it for say 5 minutes, come back and press the power button it shuts off instantly (usually if the MBP has booted up and loaded OS X it takes a good 5 seconds of holding the power button down before it turns off.

Any help/suggestions will be much appreciated! I really can't afford to shell out £900 on a new MBP :(

Thanks in Advance.

EDIT:

Also if you need any more information in order to help me, just ask and I will do my best to provide you with as much information as possible!

2. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Give it time after you hear the startup sound. Then hit the volume keys to see if they make a sound.

3. Scazza thread starter macrumors member

Left it for 5 minutes after hearing the startup sound, pressed the volume buttons on the keyboard and they do not make a sound.

Hooked up an Apple USB Keyboard and tried that, again, no sound from pressing the volume buttons.

Not sure where to go from here now :confused: