Screen Burn - 2012 27" iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by RobertoooMac, Apr 9, 2014.

1. RobertoooMac macrumors newbie

RobertoooMac

Hey guys,

About 20 minutes ago I came back to my iMac after leaving it on displaying a still image (my Gmail inbox within Google Chrome). I was absolutely mortified to find that when I minimised the window, the image was still there, but faded in.

I was running Windows 7 via Bootcamp and restarted to make sure it wasn't a software error. That didn't work so I restarted and went over to OSX. I got to the home screen to find that it was still there - any suggestions? This is the first time anything like this has happened to my iMac.

Cheers guys,

Rob

2. Fatboy71 macrumors 65816

Fatboy71

Do you have Apple Care cover?

If you do and providing the screen burn doesn't go away, I would make an appointment at your nearest Apple Store's Genius Bar, and let them have a look at it.

3. Arfdog macrumors 6502

Apple website has a suggested fix for this. Basically switch to a completley white background and let sit for a bit. Otherwise, use Apple Care.

Due to some glitch, my 2012 iMac 27" didn't go to sleep overnight and just sat there with the screen on, the whole time. Didn't burn in.

4. adamneer macrumors 6502

Mine does the same thing. The apple document will not help and is not really a solution for the type of image retention these computers have. Besides, what good is a solution if it doesn't prevent the image retention from occurring in the first please. Are you going to constantly open up a white image document to clear out burn in every hour? I haven't brought mine in yet, but odds are, they'll pull the display and replace it with a new one.

5. uptownnyc macrumors 6502

What was the outcome of this? I've got pretty severe burn-in / image retention problems with my late 2012 iMac.

6. adamneer macrumors 6502

No outcome - I just leave the screen brightness set below halfway so that I don't get the burn-in. I'd rather wait until I get an issue that hinders functionality before lugging this huge computer into an Apple Store. I know that's kind of giving-in on account of laziness, but I've gotten used to the brightness setting to where it would be frivolous to bring it in unless it needed other repairs as well.