Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LarrySunshine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2021
So I am not entirely sure this is my Mac mini, but I've tried 2 different screens via different connections and I get the same burn-in (attaching 2 pics). I visit a Spotify page called Orson Wellzzz, it has a high contrast and bright gradients, so maybe that is what causes the problem. Also, there is a slight flickering and vertical (maybe 80' angle) scanlines show up. I recently got a new monitor (Dell U2720Q connected via Type-C) and only notice this thing when visiting this particular Spotify page. On old monitor (connected via HDMI) I get scanlines (kind of same angle, also look the same) all the time on certain colours. This looks like a GPU problem perhaps. Anyone have any idea? I don't want to rush returning my mac to the store.

EDIT: Ok, so I turned down Contrast to 69, the problem seems to be gone. Up to 70, then I see lines again. Now I don't know what to think.

Attachments

• 20220102_100535.jpeg
    20220102_100535.jpeg
    373.5 KB · Views: 256
  • 20220102_100515.jpeg
    20220102_100515.jpeg
    338.2 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
Reactions: Jsee

Kenny99

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2018
ST. Louis, Mo.
What have you tried? Resetting the screens to Factory default, verify screens video max settings and refresh rates are supported, connecting them one at a time and again verify that the Mac monitor settings are at default.

Neodym

macrumors 68020
Jul 5, 2002
Very strange, indeed. I would expect something like this maybe on a plasma or OLED display, but not on an IPS one. Are you sure that the visited Spotify page is trustworthy?

When you say the problem is gone below contrast 70 - does it mean you can make it visible at will, just by changing contrast on your display? Is it also still there after you rebooted the mini (or without the mini even running/being connected)? Can you try to connect a different device and see whether it is still visible at contrast >70?

Reactions: LarrySunshine

LarrySunshine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2021
What have you tried? Resetting the screens to Factory default, verify screens video max settings and refresh rates are supported, connecting them one at a time and again verify that the Mac monitor settings are at default.
All of this. Resetted couple times. Values are factory. Settings are pretty basic. Everything looks good. Set contrast to 69 (default 75), problem dissapears.

LarrySunshine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2021
Very strange, indeed. I would expect something like this maybe on a plasma or OLED display, but not on an IPS one. Are you sure that the visited Spotify page is trustworthy?

When you say the problem is gone below contrast 70 - does it mean you can make it visible at will, just by changing contrast on your display? Is it also still there after you rebooted the mini (or without the mini even running/being connected)? Can you try to connect a different device and see whether it is still visible at contrast >70?
Of course it's trustworthy, it's the Spotify app.

Yes, it reappears on 70, gone at 69. Still there after reboot if set to higher than 69.

"Can you try to connect a different device and see whether it is still visible at contrast >70?"
I will try to connect my PC. Good point.

Jsee

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2021
I have the same issue with the same monitor with my M1 MBP. I have heard similar reports with other monitors too so unsure if it is an M1 issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.