Screen Calibration

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NStocks, Nov 9, 2008.

1. NStocks macrumors 65816

Ok, so I just got my new MBP and think it needs calibrating, since the colors are not rich punchy, or even that bright enough. I have being on a few threads and found profiles that people have calibrated with. How do I use their profile on my Mac ?

Also if I don't see much difference after the calibration, should I return it and hope for a different panel ?

Call me picky but when I pay £1400.00 for a Notebook, I want the best panel possible

( I have a 9C84 by they way )

NStocks

2. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

copy the .icc file to your home folder/library/colorsync/profiles. then open system prefs. and open display and select color. then open profile if it's not in the list of color profiles. sounds like a lot of steps, but it's really not.

3. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

Thats really quite easy thanks. It has made loads of difference, but it's not much brighter, just more deep colors and a more blue tint... I'm going to try other profiles. But if I got my own calibrator, would that also be able to make the screen brighter?

NStocks

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The purpose of screen calibration isn't really to make it brighter. But make sure when you use the display calibration tool, that you enable the advanced options. One of them adjusts the Gamma for the screen, which may be what you're after. But there's no trick that'll make your notebook screen brighter than your HDTV by adjusting its calibration profile... :eek:

Also, if you really want brightness and "punch" by default... that's going to be hard to do with any calibration tool. Calibration tools are designed to help you get the screen to be faithful / accurate, not artificially "punchy" -- for instance, if you take a photo, you want the photo as adjusted to be punchy. If the screen made everything look punchy, when you printed the photo out, it would probably look terrible, because you'd be back in reality. So...hmm... I think it's a bad idea to do that, in any event, but if you really want to do that, you may have to play around with the settings in the calibration a bit.

5. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

I have downloaded about 5 profiles from here, and found one that works best ( for me ), it's really quite different from the factory setting, it's not brighter but the colors sure are a lot deeper.

.. Very good !

NStocks

6. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

calibrate it yourself. you can either do it using colorsync in your utilities folder or supercal. i suggest doing it in a dark room to prevent glare and such. also do it with your screen brightness all the way up.