Screen Capture/Casting on OS X 10.5

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jade, Oct 29, 2008.

1. jade macrumors 6502

Hi everyone. Looking for tools and tips on screen capturing. Screenshots, screenshots with notes highlights and circles and videos. If you have thoughts/tips, please let me know. Downloaded and bought Screenium. Don't really wanna spend more than another $30 for the screenshot part. And your feedack on developing little mini-training videos would be good!

Recording from Powerpoint, Keynote and Web apps.

2. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Leopard has a app Called Grab which will allow you to take screen shots and screen selections.

3. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

4. jade thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I want to be able to "callout" info in my shot. Hightlight, circle, that sort of stuff. Don't have/want photoshop.

5. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

That is exactly why I suggested Skitch... You can write all over the screenshot, circle things, etc...

Example:

[​IMG]

6. b1u3b0y Guest

7. jade thread starter macrumors 6502

looks cool! I'll try it out. :)

8. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

screen shots are not hard. Use a paint program to draw on it after you take it. I don't know if it's the same on leopard, but Command+Shift+3 takes a snapshot of your screen

For screen recording, Snapz Pro X has never failed me. You can even record audio with the video.

9. jade thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the suggestions. Skitch is pretty good, but the text options look pretty juvenile.

Basic Screenshots aren't what I was looking for. I want to spend minimal time cropping/editing images in multiple programs.

In terms of Video, it sounds easy but not all options can capture the full screen presentations, or mouseclicks....since my intention is training videos, output choices and flexibility in recording are critical. I tried Jing as well. It was pretty good, except there doesn't seem to be any built in cropping.

If you are someone who does this sort of thing I'd love your feedback too!

10. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

I second i.shaun's recommendation of snapz pro x. I got it in the MacHeist 2 Bundle a while back. I tested it out and don't really use it, but I would have to say it would be the perfect program for you to look into. Shame you already purchased screenium (granted I don't know anything about this application) so you don't want to have to purchase another app.

11. jade thread starter macrumors 6502

I like screenium b/c it was really easy. i figured out what to do in about 10 minutes! some reviews implied Snapz was a sleep at the wheel so I went for the $20 software. I think Skitch or Jing (plus keynote) will cover the screenshots well. I'l keep you posted on ho my projects go. As long as I can spend little time gathering the screen stuff and reformatting it, the happier i will be.

Thanks for your help. If any videos are "fit for public consumption," I'll post.