Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

x&trick

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2008
Picture 1, Picture 2...

Is there some way to keep screen shots from starting over at 1 every time I clear my desktop? I want to file shots of similar categories together regardless of how far apart in time they were taken, but usually I just browse them all at once and don't want to bother renaming them. Thanks.

Also, in 10.4 Preview will open different image types in different windows even after I changed the preferences, and I can't find the full screen option it had under 10.3.

mackindergarten

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2008
Hi!

As far as I know, Mac OS will start over naming screenshot files. However, what you could do, is to create an Automator workflow, that renames your files based on creation date/time.

As for you 2nd question, I'm not really sure what you mean. What is the full screen option, you speak about?

Hope this helps.

/Rupert

x&trick

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2008
Thanks for introducing me to the wonderful world of Automator; I even found instructions for what you speak of.

Unfortunately, file renaming doesn't work with FileVault on. But I checked out TinkerTool's options and easily saw how to at least save all screenshots to a separate folder where I can let them pile up a lot longer.

In 10.3 command-F in Preview filled the screen with each image; arrow keys moved between open images and escape brought back normal views. Can't do that in 10.4.

mackindergarten

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2008
Hi!

From 10.4 the option is in the View menu, called Slideshow (command-shift-F).

What's important to know, is that Preview only displays the files you open from Finder. If you only select 1 image in Finder and open up with Preview, you won't be able to browse through the entire directory.
For more information on this, please look at my answer in this thread.

/Rupert

x&trick

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2008
I see. Slideshow (misleading name, IMHO) lets me fill the screen and pause so I can use arrow keys to move on, like I used to. Thanks.

seeker777

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2007
x&trick-

FYI. You may want to consider this comment...

I don't recommend using FileVault unless you really need your whole home folder encrypted when you aren't logged in.
There have been many reported problems with it on these forums.

Instead I recommend creating an encrypted disk image using Disk Utility and keeping your confidential files on that disk image that you can open whenever you want.
Make the password for this disk image be something different from your login password and don't check the checkbox to add it to your Keychain.

Filevault is not efficient, as it encrypts and decrypts everything - including your iTunes library. It is wasteful of disk space and time consuming.

Thats my two cents. You know what they say about free advice...

P.S. Maybe this will also solve your file renaming issue?

x&trick

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2008
Thanks. I thought of doing without FileVault, but I need at least half the disk free to undo it. Maybe after I study more on security I'll feel okay about erring on the side of ease.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.