Screen Capture Pixelated Screen at Start up OSX10.5.4

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by garenpatrick, Dec 3, 2008.

1. garenpatrick macrumors newbie

This is the image I get on my iMac 2.4 GHz Intel Core Duo OSX10.5.4. I have repaired permisions and removed all login items. Once I move the cursor or open up a window the screen clears behind the cursor or window etc...Any suggestions? It freezes up at least once or twice a day...

Attached Files:

2. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Looks like a bad video card. Can you hook up an external monitor to see if you have the same results? Also this is the Mac Pro forums, maybe a mod can move you over to the iMac forums.

3. garenpatrick thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info..I will change the post to the iMac forum. I tried it out with another screen and the image was not pixelized.

4. iamcheerful macrumors 6502

iamcheerful

almost identical complaint

for starters, i'm on a mac pro. however, i've this issue too and it has been going on for awhile (approx more than 1 mth).

the video card has been replaced 2 times and i'm wondering if a replacement actually helps.

it is the stock video card --- ATI 2600 on the early 2008 Mac Pro.

5. tosehee macrumors member

having this issue myself. I ordered the 8800gt, but if your replacement doesn't help you, I am not so sure if it'll help me either.

It saddens me how unreliable this "pro" machine is. I paid nearly $3000+ for it, and I am no where close to being happy with this crappy freeze and pixelated issues.

6. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

The OP has an iMac. He can't just go replacing video cards, he'll have to have the whole logic board replaced. Do you have an Apple Store around you that you can take it in? They will do it for free under warranty.

7. iamcheerful macrumors 6502

iamcheerful

OrangeSVTguy, well, you can blame me for misleading you, certainly wasn't my intention though. i wasn't exactly advising TS to get a replacement card but was just sharing my personal experiences; was a little lazy to start a thread thus just con't from where TS started.

You see, I kinda "hi-jacked" the thread or maybe guided it to a more Mac Pro oriented grounds. btw, in case you ain't aware, tosehee was replying to my post not TS's.

it does frustrate me at times (the pixel issues and the KPs). KPs are the last straw. recently i ran into PSU issues, Apple replaced it rather quickly now, i've pixel issues but i can live with it for now as i need to get my work done! KPs would mean i don't get to do my work and that will mean another trip to Apple.

8. luan103 macrumors newbie

Screen pixalation on start up screen with green and purple bars.

I am having a problem, I'm not sure if its the same problem. I am running a macbook pro core 2 with leopard. I was browsing the web and suddenly my screen gets this long vertical pixelation. This has happen once before and I shut her down and reboot it again and it came back fine. I did that this time and I recieved the start up screen that has the apple logo but with the vertical pixelation; this time it wont let me long into my account. The next screen after the start up screen is a screen that has the same messages in 4 different languages that states "You need to restart your computer. Hold down the Power button for several seconds or press the Restart button." with the pixelation right behind it.

I don't know if this is the same problem you're having, but can someone help?

I've read some threads, and found that they said that it might be that the graphics card is bad, others have said that it's not the hardware its the software. I'm not sure.

I've attached some files on what the screen looks like. Thanks for the help.

Attached Files:

9. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Yeah you are posting in the MacPro/Power Mac forums. Try searching the MBP/Powerbooks and you will see that there was a problem with the 8600 video card. Call Apple and they will fix it for you for free.

10. alexprice macrumors 6502a

OP... Please update to 10.5.6 before taking it in for repair. I think its software issue.;)

11. luan103 macrumors newbie

I reformatted my whole hard drive with the original disk that my mac came with, but it still has the same problem. I'm thinking that its a hardware issue, possibly something with the display. Or My Mac does get really hot, it could be that the heat has burn something within the display to not allow it display. Hope someone can help. Thanks