Screen Capture Software - 24 hour capture

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by yomatta, Oct 29, 2013.

1. yomatta macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

I've been perusing these forums for a while. I'm curious if anyone has a recommendation on an economic solution for screen capture software that will be used to record my screen for a period of 24 hours?

I've looked at a few, and all have their various complaints. Just not sure which to go with, so I thought I'd ask somewhere where the people might know a thing or two.

Also--any idea on how much HDD space will be required would be wonderful. Not sure if it's pertinent info, but I'll be writing for 24 hours and will be capturing the writing--no heavy gaming or anything like that.

Thanks!

2. 5t3f4n macrumors regular

I personally use QuickTime to record my screen.
    Never recorded anything close to 24 hours though...

3. sprawl2 macrumors newbie

Quicktime works nicely. It uses 43MB per minute of video (@ 1440x900), so you better have a whole lot of free space, like >75GB.

I've also used Camtasia, it has great editing tools in addition to recording your screen. It probably lets you record at a lower quality, if you need to save disk space.

4. yomatta thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh nice, I'll have to give Quicktime a go, then! 75+gigs (and anywhere in that neighborhood) shouldn't be an issue. I can muster up a free TB of free space if needed, I just wasn't sure what the requirements were going to be.

5. powerstrokin macrumors 6502a

powerstrokin

I admit I'm still new to Macs (since February of this year) but wow I had no idea you could record your screen with Quicktime! That's pretty neat. Since OP already had his question answered, I'll just ask-

How do you record only a section of the screen and not the whole thing? It says 'click to record screen, drag to record area/window' or something to that effect. I don't understand what to do. Thanks!

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

When you get to that section just use your mouse to draw a box around the area you want to record, then hit the red record button.