Screen Capture Software for OS X

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Elmzeh, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Elmzeh macrumors regular

Elmzeh

Afternoon Guys,

Hoping that some of you may be able to help me. I'm looking to set up a OS X focused YouTube Gaming channel and could use some advice on the best Screen Capture solutions for MacBook Pro's;

So far I have tried ScreenFlow and Screenflick on the below system;

cMBP Mid 2012 2.6Ghz, 8GB Ram, 750GB HDD, Nvidia 650m 1GB

However on the above system there has been a notable impact on performance and the quality of the videos.

Soon I will be receiving my new system which is specced as below;

MBPR Early 2013, 2.7GHz, 16GB Ram, 256GB SSD, Nvidia 650m 1GB

Can any of you advise on any other software / hardware based screen capture solutions for OS X that doesnt have a HUGE impact on performance?

I've been looking into potentially investing into a Blackmagic Intensity Extreme however I've been advised that I'd need to be careful as Apple apparently has HDCP on its products let alone games so it may not let me record any gaming from a Mac based system...

Any help here would be great :)

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Check out snagit I believe it does what you're looking to do and they have a 30 day trial for you to play with it before plunking down the $$.

4. flat five macrumors 601

flat five

this is maybe an ill-informend recommendation so take it for what it's worth ;)

(ie- i tried a bunch of trials years ago when needing a screen capture program and this is the one that stuck with me.. i don't 'really' know if it's better or worse than anything else out there but i also haven't found the need to seek alternative solutions.. it works very well for me)

http://www.shinywhitebox.com/ishowu-hd

iShowU HD

edit- [their opening pitch does seem to address your concerns though]

5. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

Perhaps I'm reading this all wrong, but why not use Quicktime X? It does Screen recording natively.

6. Elmzeh thread starter macrumors regular

Elmzeh

Quicktime was the first program that I tried and unfortunately it seemed to "Lag" quite significantly when recording, much more so than the other programs that I tried;

7. Elmzeh thread starter macrumors regular

Elmzeh

Update on Screen Capture Software;

Hi Guys,

Just thought I'd give you a quick update from my experience this evening with a few of the Mac/OSX Screen Recorders that I've come across;

So far I've tried;

1) ScreenFlow
    2) iShowUHD
    3) Screenflick

How I tested them was loaded up Counter Strike: Global Offensive and ran the same course of a map each time and on a final test added bots and did some live action recording.

On each test both ScreenFlow and iShowUHD Pro had some kind of impact on my MacBook Pro's performance. Normally without recording software I'm getting 150-200fps however while using these screen recorders I was getting around 40-50, sometimes hitting 30 and below;

However I was surprised that when using Screenflick my FPS stayed stable at around 80-120 and also when grenades were going off and fire was spreading over the map it didn't seem to have too much of an impact at all.

I will try some of the other software that you guys have mentioned but so far Screenflick is ahead.

(It's worth noting that the performance of Screenflow and iShowUHD Pro could have something to do with the settings etc but there was nothing notable that I noticed that could have had a huge impact)

8. flat five macrumors 601

flat five

in my case, with ishowu, the most intensive thing i use it for is 3D model fly-throughs (at which stage will generally have little to no texturing etc).. never tried it while a grenade was blowing up :D

9. m.gansrigler, Jul 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2013

m.gansrigler macrumors regular

m.gansrigler

EDIT:
    Sorry, misunderstood. Ignore the link, it's not what you're looking for. it records xbox/playstation games to your mac.

how about Elgato's Game Capture HD?

10. beachmusic macrumors regular

beachmusic