Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Da Citizen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2011
Leeds, UK
Guys,

I need screen capture software that also captures system audio and allows me to specify what area of the screen i need to capture.

Thats free/cheap

And lightweight.

I used Camtasia on the PC, but its not lightweight, takes an eternity to cache a recorded file, then again if i want to actually save it!

Help/ideas/suggestions welcomed.

Thanks!

Da Citizen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2011
Leeds, UK
I use it with great pleasure, though I do my effects/explanations in After Effects after the record is exported. But ScreenFlow offers very nice tools for describing what is happening on the screen.

Thanks. Im not after something thats effect heavy, just that captures my screen in an area i speficy, with system and/or mic audio.

Any others you can recommemd?

steveoc

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2007
Adirondacks NY
Voila is a more light-weight. It does screen recording and capture. I've only used it for capture so far. It has a nice quick and easy set of editing tools for the still images. I think it just has whole screen or selection recording then allows you to send it to QuickTime for minor editing.

QuickTimeX is free and comes with the Mac OS. It too can do screen recording.

sumone

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2011
Well I know that if you are really interested in something free Quicktime has a built in screen capture option. It does also allow you to specify a specific area to capture. However, I don't believe you can capture audio. If you wanted to do a voice over I suppose you could just screen record and then add your audio when editing.

Da Citizen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2011
Leeds, UK
Thanks both.

Ive used Quicktime on a few occassions recently, and it crossed my mind to do the audio separatly (either my mic, or create a loop between line in and headphones to capture system audio) but it may be more time than its worth...

Ill look up Voila,

thanks!

----------

Thanks both.

Ive used Quicktime on a few occassions recently, and it crossed my mind to do the audio separatly (either my mic, or create a loop between line in and headphones to capture system audio) but it may be more time than its worth...

Ill look up Voila,

thanks!

Voila looks great! Lightweight, screen capture, video, mic or system audio, lots of setting.
Trial being downloaded tonight!!!!!

Many thanks all :)

steveoc

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2007
Adirondacks NY
Well I know that if you are really interested in something free Quicktime has a built in screen capture option. It does also allow you to specify a specific area to capture. However, I don't believe you can capture audio. If you wanted to do a voice over I suppose you could just screen record and then add your audio when editing.

It can record the screen with audio. There is a triangle on right side of the screen recording interface that lets you select the audio source. It does not, as far I can see, allow recording of a section of a screen.

Jing has a free version that allows 5 minutes of screen recording:

http://www.techsmith.com/jing.html

bmcgonag

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2007
Texas
Quicktime can record a specified section of the screen, or the whole screen, and can record from the mic, or specified input. I don't know (but don't think it can) if it can record the system audio without a loop from output to mic input, but you could turn up speakers while recording, the mic should pick up the system sounds then.

Jing is the same issue with 5 minute limit on free version, and limited to flash version only.

bmcgonag

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2007
Texas
I forgot about iShowU, but it has great video quality, very customizable, and pretty easy to use. Good catch.

pchipchip

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2011
As mentioned earlier QuickTime is built in and it works pretty well and can go into iMovie to edit.

MathRulz

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2011
Atlanta
Camtasia for Mac 2 ?

Anyone have or try Camtasia for Mac 2 that just came out? I am newly in the market for this or Screenflow 3. From what I have read, Screenflow beat Camtasia for Mac, but that was for the 2009 version of Camtasia.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.