Screen Capture Utility?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mac In School, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Mac In School macrumors 65816

I'm looking for a fairly flexible screen capture utility for OS X.

I need to view some PDFs at a size that is much larger than my screen, and capture them as images. So I guess I need screen capture software that will grab an active window, and not just what is currently visible.

Right now I'm grabbing 4 of them and pasting them together in Photoshop. There must be an easier way. :rolleyes:

Thanks.

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Well, a screen capture by definition captures what's on the screen.

If you have Acrobat (the full version) you can save as... a JPG or a TIFF file.

You know you can open PDF files directly with Photoshop, right? Then scale and save to your heart's content? Ditto with Preview, and Illustrator.

3. Mac In School thread starter macrumors 65816

Perhaps I gave too much information for my own good.

It's not always a PDF document. Sometimes I need to capture a Web page that scrolls for a bazillion pages.

4. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Could you not just print the web page to a pdf?

Haven't the foggiest idea how that would help you get it as an image, but at least it'll put it in the same place as your pdf documents.

5. Mac In School thread starter macrumors 65816

Maybe what I'm looking for doesn't exist. On Windows, I used Snagit. From their Web site:

6. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Couldn't you just view the PDF in Preview and Save As a JPG or PNG? Or try PhotoShop?

7. albeik macrumors regular

albeik

8. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

So print it as a PDF then see above.

9. Mac In School thread starter macrumors 65816

^ Often left with undesirable results. Particularly with dark backgrounds.

I know the workarounds, and use them. Just wondering if such a utility exists to save me a few steps. If not, no biggie. Thanks for the replies.

10. GregE macrumors 6502

Did you ever find anything? I used HyperSnap in Windows and would like a similar app for my iMac.

11. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

12. feyn-man macrumors regular

just use the 'command+shift+4' and then press spacebar, you can grab the active window.

13. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Yeah, but they want to be able to capture the hidden parts of the window that you'd need to scroll to as well. Command+Shift+4 won't handle that.

14. GregE macrumors 6502

That and the application then let you edit the capture by typing text over it or hi-lighting parts of it. I could also easily capture the entire screen, an open window, or a region very easily.

15. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

firefox has some extensions like "save as image" "grab it" etc that can save the whole webpage "not only the visible portion" into PNG/jpg, etc files.

16. GregE macrumors 6502

I did some more searching and it looks like Jing Project or Skitch would work best for me. Not sure if they will do what the OP wanted.