Screen Capture with rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by willgreene99, Feb 18, 2013.

1. willgreene99 macrumors regular

willgreene99

I used to enjoy using TechSmith's Snag-It and Skitch to create clear screen captures. I was thinking that once I got my rMBP it would be wonderful. I was mistaken. When I am trying to use Snag-It, I get only the bottom left corner of the screen. I have my resolution set to 1920x1200 HiDPI mode.
    I was only able to capture the precise screen when setting the resolution to it's native 2880x1800 with SwtchResX. This is a bit of en eye strain for me and only use it when I have to.
    I also tried using Skitch, which does allow a screen capture at the regualr 1920x1200 HiDPI mode. The downside is that when I paste it into another app, like word or Evernote, the image is more pixelated, which I am guessing is Skitch's way of rendering the screen capture based on the resolution. I have not tried using Skitch at the rMBP native resolution.
    Has anyone had success with another screen capture tool that does not pixelate the image?

2. TC400 macrumors 6502a

TC400

I must not have a professional need for screen capture I either use grab or the keyboard shortcut.

Or wait until there is retina ready apps

3. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Full screen: Command-Control-Shift-3 (Saves to desktop).
    Select portion: Command-Control-Shift-4 (Again, saves to desktop).

Works pretty well for me.

4. willgreene99 thread starter macrumors regular

willgreene99

Thanks xShane. Your tip led me to using the Preview App to create a screen shot. I first tried the 4-key method, but couldn't get it to work inside of a vm. Using Preview, I now can get back to making screen shots. It seems to sense the resolution correctly even when I change it, so that the images are clear and crisp.