Screen cleaner suggestions for 17" high-res glossy MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cmm, Nov 10, 2010.

1. cmm macrumors 6502a

Can someone recommend a screen cleaner that I can buy? The one I am currently using leaves marks from the microfiber/lint free towel I use once the solution dries.

2. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

If by glossy you are talking about glass than simply clean it like you clean a window. Your mom should now how. Little hint use paper instead of towels.

3. cmm thread starter macrumors 6502a

You can use Windex on a MBP?

4. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

iKlear is the only product Apple endorses and uses themselves ... plus it can be used on the whole machine

It works really well ... on a $2,000 machine ... a few extra bucks are worth it.

5. cmm thread starter macrumors 6502a

I would agree... I wouldn't think using Windex is a good idea.

I just looked up iKlear and am weary of it. Do you know how I could make a isoprophyl alcohol and distilled water 50/50 blend? Simply pour it in a container and mix it? That's all? I've heard of doing it this way before, but thought I'd just buy something to save myself from the chance I make a mistake. But it seems there aren't any products out there that will clean fingerprints well, so perhaps it is time for an organic solution...

http://www.amazon.com/Klear-Screen-iKlear-PowerBook-Cleaning/dp/B00076N568

6. sjfwhite macrumors member

sjfwhite

A soft very damp cloth (dampened with water) works just fine, then dried by another dry soft lintless cloth. Don't spray anything directly on the screen.

7. gurm42 macrumors newbie

Your local pharmacy (druggist) will sell 50/50 Isopropyl. It's what I use when I don't have any screen cleaner handy.

But seriously - go to your local electronics store, buy screen cleaner. This isn't rocket surgery.

8. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I've used iKlear for 3 years on all my Apple gear and it's kept them looking flawless. Even the smallest bottle of solution will work for a single Macbook Pro, easily two years. It's safe for the trackpad and magic mouse/keyboard because it's nontoxic (ANTI-STATIC, ALCOHOL, AMMONIA & SODIUM LAURYL SULFATE FREE. as they say on the website).

Alcohol is great but not for this purpose. I have 99.9% Electronics grade stuff that I wouldn't dare use on my MBP.

9. cmm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ah, so I can clean the fingerprints off the trackpad with iKlear. What about the keyboard?

gurm42 et al: This isn't about saving money, it's about using the best product.

10. walshlink macrumors regular

I p on mine...takes the smudges right off! :D

Actually, I use iKlear...good stuff...mix a little with my orange juice every morning.

Seriously though...good stuff.

11. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

There is no such thing as rocket surgery. It is either rocket science or heart surgery. Not rocket surgery or heart science.

12. sbddude macrumors 6502a

I use LCD cleaning solution I got from Office depot, and a lint-free microfiber cloth.

13. awalkerca macrumors newbie

I also use iKlear. I was weary of buying a special "screen cleaner" solution. However, I really like that it cleans finger prints and dirt off of the case, keyboard, trackpad, magic mouse, etc. I like that it is non-toxic, non-alcohol based, and that it works. It was worth the small $$ ($25, I think? something like that) and comes with the spray, a cloth and some travel wipes that can be thrown into the bag for having on hand when it isn't convenient to use the spray.

You broke down and put some extra money into your computer; it's worth putting an extra few dollars in to keeping it looking nice (because really, thats all the screen cleaner does; makes it look nice and get rid of distracting (because they don't look nice) finger prints and smudges.

14. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

But if there was, could you imagine the sheer proficiency required for such an intense operation?

15. jtus macrumors member

If you use Windex you WILL be sorry. The only cleaner you should use is Iklear. It works great on every part of the computer, screen, case, keyboard, & track pad.

16. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

get iKlear, it's safe to clean everything on your MBP, the screen, the outside, trackpad, and keyboard.

Trust me, it works dude

17. fkhan3 macrumors 6502

I use iKlear on my glossy 17" MBP, iPhone, and iPad. Works great, I wouldnt use anything else

18. arcite macrumors 6502a

arcite

Cairo, trapped in a pyramid with my iphone
    oops I used a bit of windex on my brand new macbook last week (I just check the bottle and it said it has ammonia!) ..... Guess i'll go to the computer store to get some specialized stuff. :eek:

19. Blueruin macrumors newbie

I use KeepitClean Macbook Cleaning Kit. It's in a green bottle and you can get it from the Apple store I think. Best thing I've used.