Screen Cleaning Tips

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Squirrelflight, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Squirrelflight macrumors regular

Had my mac for 3 years. But when I get a new mac I want to have a better cleaning plan.

The screen gets dirty ALL the time. So normally I use a glass cloth to clean screen. I usually have to press down hard because being to light won't get rid of smudges. I sometimes wet the cloth with a little bit of tap water and clean which just creates more smudges. I read distilled water is better but not sure where to get that....

So how do you keep your screens clean?

I want to do better because I must have messed up somewhere getting a piece of dust stuck in the middle of the screen.

2. neurodave macrumors member

I used Windex and a soft cloth. It wipes streak clean, and dries up super fast, and does no harm to my screen. For those pesky little bits of dust and dirt that get stuck in the nooks of the screen (or elsewhere) I use a little compressed air.

3. Squirrelflight thread starter macrumors regular

Good tips! I just use a little water on a glass cloth or I use a screen cleaner I got from staples.

Sadly compressed air won't dislodge this piece of tiny dust stuck inside the middle of the screen. Ugh I don't know how it got there.

4. dylin macrumors 6502a

dylin

If you wear glasses, you could use your eye glass cleaner. I actually use rubbing alcohol.

5. endlightend macrumors member

Microfiber cloth works wonders. Never have to wet it and it gets off anything that has ever gotten on my screen with no issues.

6. mthos macrumors member

Microfiber cloth ftw. I've never got anything on my Macbook screens that couldn't come off with microfiber cloth instantly.

My local dollar store even sells them, so check yours instead of paying the stupid price of like $10 at Walmart or Staples for a cloth. The ones I usually see are blue. I've never seen another color. I assume they can come in other colors. lol.

7. Creep89 macrumors 6502

+1 for microfiber cloth. In my opinion the best way to clean your screen.

8. Ayr macrumors 6502

You don't use anything else with the microfibre cloth, like a spray of some sort?

9. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Dampen the cloth with water. Then use that to clean the screen.

10. Ayr macrumors 6502

Nice will give it a shot. Been wondering how to clean the iMac screen, but when I search people are talking about expensive £40 solutions :eek:

11. Brian Y macrumors 68040

I use the Techlink spray that Apple sells. It's about £13 but my bottle is 2 years old and still about a third full.

It's brilliant, leaves no smears - although apparently the bottles it comes in now are crap (the old green bottles were much better!).