Screen coating is coming off

someoneoutthere

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2014
The Great Lakes State
This is one of those "my screen coating is coming off" threads:
It is a mid-2014 rMBP, 15". This morning I noticed the coating had come off, it is about an inch to the left of the camera. It wasn't there last night before I went to bed.
The interesting thing is that I have been following exactly what Apple said - using water and the microfiber cloth that came out of the box. It still happened.
I have not been cleaning it obsessively, maybe once a week to clean the dust off; also paying attention not to leave any finger prints/smudge on for an extended period of time.
I have also been following the coating damage threads on this forum, so I have never been inclined to use any cleaning products or whatsoever.
I wonder if there is a manufacturing error/defect. I wasn't expecting to see such thing happening in ~2 months.

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
Sorry to hear this, wonder if it's wearing where you lift the screen? These reports are making me think twice about buying Retina.

someoneoutthere

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2014
The Great Lakes State
Sorry to hear this, wonder if it's wearing where you lift the screen? These reports are making me think twice about buying Retina.
Could very well be, it is in the close proximity of that area. It is a "very" minor cosmetic issue right now, looks like a thin, straight line. What bothers me is that the laptop is only ~2 months old; I was sincerely expecting the coating to lose its functionality (wear off, etc.) far down the road, not so quick.

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Sep 4, 2006
Yea I know what you mean, I've been looking at the rMBP for the past 3 weeks and this is one of the reason that is keeping me from getting one. I've been looking at MBAs instead.

It seems to be a defect in the product because no matter how you look at it, previous generations never had this issue (although, I did hear about older powerbooks having this issue because of plastic screens or something?). On the previous models or any other notebooks, I could touch and get the screens all greasy or didn't have to baby it and I've never had the screen scratching.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.