Screen color issues after re-install

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fr4c, Aug 27, 2009.

1. fr4c macrumors 65816

fr4c

This might be a stupid/silly question, but I'm going to go ahead and ask anyways since it's been bugging me all day.

Brand new MBP 13", used the stock 250GB HD for a couple days but decided to get a bigger 7200RPM drive. So I know what the screen looked like with the initial factory install of OS X. Fast forward to later this afternoon after I put in the new drive. I re-installed the OS using a retail copy of Leopard instead of the bundled discs for the 13", and after everything was booted up I noticed the color profile was really off. Colors weren't as vibrant as before, and everything just looked so washed out. I noticed it right away, but did all the system updates to 10.5.8 hoping it was just a glitch. After a restart the colors was still off, and I verified via System Profile to make sure the GPU is being recognized etc.

Convinced myself to re-install this time using the discs that came with the MBP. After everything is installed, the color tones are back; much more vibrant colors and no longer looked washed out.

So I guess my question is, is the retail copy of Leopard not installing the correct color profiles? If I was to do a fresh install of SL tomorrow would something similar happen (guess we'll have to wait until tomorrow I guess).

:confused:

2. fr4c thread starter macrumors 65816

fr4c

Figured out my initial issue, but still have some questions. After my SL install, the Display Profile was defaulted to "Display", which showed the same washed out colors I was originally experiencing. But there was the "Color LCD" profile, which I switched over and now are colors are back to normal. Now my questions are:

1) Why is it defaulting to this crappy "Display" profile, and why is it there in the first place?
    2) For those who have SL on their 13" MBP, what are you available screen resolutions?