Screen colour changes when I open some apps.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Baytriple, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Baytriple, Jul 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2012

Baytriple macrumors 6502

Its a weird one. My 17 Inch Mac Book pro has been working great for the last 2 years.

Only recently the screen colour changes slightly when opening some apps. The apps vary, maybe AppZapper. Chrome. Indesign.

Once that app is closed the colour goes back to normal again. It would go from the normal "brown-white" look to a "blue" hue.

The best way to describe it would be if you went to the Display and change the colour profile to a different display. That would be what happens to the screen.

Once I run CC cleaner and or Onyx it all goes back to normal again on these apps. Then for no reason the blue would appear when an app opens.

I have checked and ColorSync Utility and it doesn't show any errors. I am running ML.

What is causing this? Hardware or software? How do I fix it?

2. StevenQ macrumors newbie

I see you have upgraded to ML. I'm having the exact same problem since i've installed ML.

The screen-color changes as soon as my MBP switches to the discrete gfx (Radeon 6770, do you have the same model?), which will be turned on if using apps like photoshop, Chrome, Handbrake.

Screen color gets very blue-ish, it's very inconvenient.

I hope this is solved by a future update, you can temporary solve this by forcing the integrated gfx. Use system preferences or "gfxcardstatus" (free).

3. dfnj123 macrumors 6502

I'm having the same issue too with my 2010 15" :(

Hopefully Apple addresses this issue soon

4. Arelunde macrumors 6502a

Arelunde

In Displays settings (system prefs) > Color there's an option to select the type of color profile you want on your screen. Adobe RGB's color profile is bluish, compared to Apple's default color profile, which tends to be brownish.

Not sure why it would shift profiles according to apps. I work with Creative Suite so have it Adobe RGB. The only time I see the color shift from the brownish to bluish is when I power up. It starts brownish, then shifts to the bluish tint and stays that way.

5. Baytriple, Jul 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2012

Baytriple thread starter macrumors 6502

This is my spec.

Yeah I have used the gfxcardstatus app. It seems when the discrete Only was selected causes the blue effect that im talking about. What can be done?

[​IMG]

When this is selected I get the blue. Selected on the Discrete Only.
    [​IMG]

6. dfnj123 macrumors 6502

Just called Applecare about this... of course they haven't heard anything about this issue yet :(

7. Baytriple thread starter macrumors 6502

good one for doing that. Surely they would have tested these machines to make sure they work probably with the software and ML. I mean it happens in Photoshop CS6 hardly a small application!

8. ajzimmerman macrumors newbie

This happens to me also,
    On all Adobe products, Parallels, Chrome, etc..
    Doesn't happen in Safari, but just about any app does cause the shift to the blueish tinge...:confused:

9. Baytriple thread starter macrumors 6502

It's weird the issue has gone now. After running onyx and cccleaner many times it would go.

I also started a new user too. Also I installed the nivida mac driver in my control panel.

All seems ok now

10. scrapple macrumors regular

scrapple

did this ever get fixed? it just started happening to me..

i have to log out then log back in real fast and all is good..

weird

11. Baytriple thread starter macrumors 6502

It comes and goes to be honest. I even did a clean install and it comeback straight away. Then goes for a month. Then comes back.

I think it is a hardware issue with this card.