Screen Condensation

Discussion in 'iMac' started by iHutch105, Nov 29, 2011.

1. iHutch105 macrumors member

Just thought I'd post a heads up on here. It's that time of year when it's starting to get colder so there's a higher chance of this happening.

A couple of weekends, I walked into the study and noticed a huge, misty mark underneath my screen. I'm pretty meticulous about keeping it clean, so I knew it was nothing I'd done and, after a while, it started to shrink. Someone, condensation had gotten inside of the screen.

I have AppleCare, so I gave Apple a call and they advised that this shouldn't happen. iMac screen should be air tight, so this problem should happen. I think pretty much anyone is within their right to request a repair/replacement when this happens but, to be honest, it's a bit of an inconvenience as it would require a lot of backing up and manual labour (those iMacs aren't light and they don't carry themselves, you know?).

An alternative approach I was offered was to leave the iMac on for around 24 hours, to burn off any excess condensation left in there, under the premise that I should call back and arrange a replacement/repair if it occurs again. It's been nine days now and, so far, I haven't seen any evidence of condensation.

I know that still means the screen may not be completely air tight, but if it's not going to cause major problems then I don't want to make a mountain out of a molehill.

So, I'd just thought I'd share in case anyone has similar issues.

For the record, my iMac is a 2011 27". Also, if you opt for the 24-hour method, make sure that you still call Apple. That way, you have a record of the problem on their systems which will save a lot of explaining and hassle should the problem occur again.

2. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

I have the same problem with my ACD. It occurs about 30 minutes of use and goes away after another 30 or so. I can't be bothered to do anything about it.

3. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

I Have My Heating

Set to a constant 20c all year round...Not just for the computers, also for my guitars.

I have independent room stats, and a master wireless system that ensures a constant temperature.

A de-humidifier is what I used to use in my old place as I had no central heating there. Computers don't like swings in temperature...Hence the condensation...It was 100 times worse back in the day when we all had CRT monitors!

4. John T macrumors 68020

John T

I'm not sure what you mean by the condensation being underneath your screen! I'm sure you meant to say it was on the inside surface of the glass protective cover to the screen. Obviously, that is not airtight!

In humid conditions, condensation can be a normal occurrence during periods of temperature extremes. The best way to avoid this is to maintain the room temperature at a reasonable level and, as Macman45 says, if this doesn't resolve the problem, get a dehumidifier.

5. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

I can't speak for the OP, but that is exactly what I am referring to.

6. iHutch105 thread starter macrumors member

Sorry, yes that's what I mean! Not literally beneath the screen (i.e. the LED panel), but underneath the glass. I was unclear in my original post.

Yeah, a dehumidifier would help but, as I said, it's been fine for over a week now. If there's any more issues then I'll contact Apple again.

Just wanted to share the post in case the information was useful to anyone having similar problems. :)