Screen Corner - Put Display To Sleep [Is there a tweak?]

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Mynners, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Mynners macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I use my top right corner for flicking of my screen when I need to, really useful for saving energy in class and if I'm listening to music while travelling and sleeping.

The only thing that annoys me about it is, there's no option to set a key to wake the screen. I mean, when using it travelling or in bed, it would be great to use the volume and next/previous keys on my macbook keyboard without waking the screen. Maybe a terminal tweak to make it ignore a few keys, or having a specific key binded to wake the screen that anyone knows about?

Thanks in advance:apple:

2. nigameash macrumors 6502

heres one thing you could do to achieve what you want. set your display brightness to 0 when you dont want to have the display on and the volume buttons work fine this way too ;)

3. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

I have not tried it, but wonder if using the Apple remote would also be a way of adjusting volume, starting/stopping & switching tracks without waking up the screen.

4. Mynners thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep, that's a perfect alternative, probably use that if I can't find away to do as I said above.
    And @ macrem, don't have an apple remote :( maybe i'll invest :p

5. Steve-M macrumors regular

Actually the Apple remote does wake up the screen.

6. Ashka macrumors 6502a

Ashka

Go to Keychain Access > Preferences... > General > Show Status in Menu Bar

This will put a pad lock in your menu bar. Now, when you want to lock your screen, click on the pad lock and select “Lock Screen”

On a June '08 MacBook Pro: Automatic logon is Off.
    iTunes keeps working and so do the F10 > F12 volume keys and the F7 > F9 on / off and track changing keys.

A downside is the small log on box showing up when the trackpad is used.
    S.