Screen corruption 17" MBP i7

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by soupratt, Jul 26, 2010.

1. soupratt macrumors newbie

Hi all
    Just noticed this problem in the last few months.
    Have a unibody 17" i7 MBP and get the screen corruption primarily when running Safari 5.0 (whatever the newest build is).
    Interestingly enough I run a program called gxfCardStatus and if I choose Nvidia rather than Intel (or Auto which = Intel) the corruption goes away. If I choose Intel again the corruption is back.
    Not sure if this is a hardware issue or just a serious bug introduced by Safari 5.0. I don't remember having the problem before upgrading.

[​IMG]

Any ideas ?

2. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

It's odd that you can screencapture the problem...

3. soupratt thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes. As I said, I wonder if it is Safari as it doesn't seem to worry Chrome. Anyone know how to revert to an older version of Safari. After doing a bit of research online it seems rather troublesome.

4. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

Others have seen this after adding RAM. So ram or drivers or safari 5 sucks.

5. billpaxton macrumors member

billpaxton

hey mate, don't worry to much about this, ive seen threads floating around about how its related to 10.6.4.

apparently apple changed Open GL or the way the graphics works with open GL & Nvidia cards or something like that, game users are reporting massive decreases in framerates since 10.6.4 and the issue in safari. i too am experiencing this issue. although im on an old white 24" imac.

wait for 10.6.5 which is being tested now. hopefully (fingers crossed) its an issue it fixes.

if you can test it use 'gfxCardStatus' to disable your nvidia card and see if you get the issue with the integrated chip, or go back to 10.6.3

hope it helps!

6. soupratt thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool thanks. Hope 10.6.5 comes soon.
    As I mentioned it isn't the Nvidia. It happens only when the integrated chip is active (Intel).

Just stumbled onto this

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/07/26/apple_preparing_first_betas_of_mac_os_10_6_5.html

The screen capture there is the same... Damn you 10.6.4 .... Damn you....