screen cover or no screen cover

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brentg33, Oct 22, 2007.

1. brentg33 macrumors 6502a

hey all,
    i have had an iphone for 2 weeks or so and i had the crystal support screen protector on it....i got some dust underneath and when i went to remove it...i ruined the cover. SO...i dont have an extra and before i go to the apple store and pay another $15....i wanted to know if fellow owners think about if this is even needed. I know the person at the apple store had said it wasnt and i see those videos on youtube with keys and knives scraped against the screen without incident.....thanks
    brent

2. roblawton macrumors 6502

I'm not gonna get a screen protector when I get mine.

I've got a pouch/sock type thing to protect it when it's in my daysack or my pocket - but other than that, I'm not gonna bother.

hth

3. ~Phi macrumors regular

I don't use one and my screen still looks brand new.

4. MacMonkee macrumors regular

MacMonkee

I've ordered the BSE full skin for when I get my iPhone but I haven't decided if I'm going to use it on the screen. I will defiantly put the back on to protect the chrome edge. Besides I heard a few people have had problems with the touch screen after removing the screen protector. Has anyone had this problem?

5. brentg33 thread starter macrumors 6502a

phi,
    do you keep yours in your pocket at all....i tend to keep my in my pants pocket...without keys or change....i do have the contour showcase on it...but it leaves the screen wide open.

6. ljones macrumors regular

I only have the screen cover on my iPhone. No problems, took a while t get the placement right, but all has been good for me over the last couple of months.

I won;t switch out mine for the second protector in the pack until i see a large number of scuff, which I have none yet.

7. YoungCreative macrumors member

YoungCreative

I have had the screen protector on mine for two months and haven't even scratched that! I always carry mine in my pocket that sometimes has coins, even while coaching soccer. I have also had the heart-stopping experience of dropping my phone and it is fine.

I have watched the scratch videos on the Web and I would say that you are okay without any screen film protection. If I ever do scratch my protector, I am just going to throw it away. I won't replace it.

I did purchase a black silicon case from Incase for my iphone. It fit great at first, but has since loosened up. Otherwise, I am happy with it. The case does make the phone harder to slide in and out of a pants pocket (which isn't always a bad thing!) and I can't use the iPhone dock, but I like the extra grip for holding it in my hand. I'm sure that the rubbery case is also why I don't have any scratches on the iPhone case from dropping it...3 times and counting. ;-)

8. earthsick macrumors regular

I have had an iPhone since June 29th and have always kept it in my pocket without any sort of case or screen protector. It still looks brand new...really no reason to worry. I would just suggest keeping your keys and change in another pocket.

9. salilsundresh macrumors 6502

I use the iSkin revo, which comes with a hard polycarbonate cover. This protects the screen from impacting objects something that can't be said about a measily stick on screen protector. Although it does add a bit of bulk, it still fits in my pocket smoothly.

10. ~Phi macrumors regular

Most of the time I keep it in my pocket by itself. Never in the same pocket with my keys or change. Also, sometimes I keep it in the leather Incase while its in my pocket. I always make sure that the screen is facing my body in case I bump into something.

11. dsheli macrumors newbie

You do not need it, you have a glass screen so unless you are walking around with diamonds in your pocket it is impossible to scratch. Your screen protector will end up getting scratched and impair your view. The whole point of making the screen glass was to prevent scratches.

12. AndyGarton macrumors member

I do have a couple of tiny scratches on mine, despite always trying to keep the phone in an otherwise empty pocket. Not major by any means, but they are noticeable, when they appear over text against bright backgrounds especially. So I kinda wish I had gone for a screen protector now.

13. KittyToy macrumors 6502

KittyToy

I don't think you need to worry about buying another one, I only use screen protectors because they come free with the cases i buy and i have about 15 different iphone cases...I just like variety!

14. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

i always get a screen protector for all of my gadgets. it's probably just habit by now, since i started after the screen of my sony clie n710c pda showed a good bit of wear from using the stylus. and they're not that expensive, so it's worth the extra peace of mind, imho. and since i often keep my iphone in my bag along with my keys and other sharp objects, i'd rather be safe than sorry...

15. chr1s60 macrumors 68000

chr1s60

I used a screen protector for the first 2 months I had my phone before doing something similar to what you did and taking it off. Since then I have not used a screen protector and I have come to the conclusion that they are not needed. I really notice no difference between having one and not having one. Since the screen is glass instead of plastic there really isn't a fear of scratching. I would say to save your $15 and use it on a case or some music or something.

16. YoungCreative macrumors member

YoungCreative

Ater 2 months and 10 days, I finally scratched my screen cover. I accidently put my phone into the same pocket as my keys and then did some yard work. The keys dug into the plastic film right in the middle of the screen, so I just pulled off the protector and threw it away. The screen protector pack came with two, but I'm not even going to bother putting the second one on. If it took that much effort to scratch that sheet of plastic, I'm definitely not worried about the glass!:)

17. hidehide macrumors 6502

You dont need a screen cover. The iPhone's screen wont scratch.
    But I dont understand why so many people buy the screen cover......

18. Alloye macrumors 6502a

No screen cover. I tried Power Support's Anti-Glare Film Set for a couple of days and didn't like it.

19. DotComCTO macrumors 6502

I have the same Crystal film set you mentioned. It comes with 2 protectors for $15. I think it does a fine job. I keep my iPhone in my pocket or my briefcase. What's worse, scratching the glass on an expensive phone or ruining a piece of replaceable plastic? It's worth the cheap investment.

:cool:

--DotComCTO