Screen cracked 3 days after 2nd AC+ Replacement :(

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mcwhite1983, May 20, 2012.

1. mcwhite1983 macrumors newbie

I know - I'm a klutz and should have bought an otter box a long time ago, but my phone was in a case when walking down the street someones large dog bumped into me and the phone fell flat on it's screen....I just used my second accidental handling insurance from Apple Care a few days ago. I live far away from a store and was just wondering if anyone had similar experience and does anyone think that I may have a chance of them having mercy on me and replace this one since it was so recent that I just shelled out the $50 for a replacement? I know they don't care about how it happened. Or do you think I will have to either live with it until the 5 comes or pay the OOW cost of $200? I think for the 16GB 4S...Thanks so much for your kind replies.

iPhone 4S, Mid 2009 15" MBP, New iPad, 27" ACD, ATV 2

2. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

some people shouldn't have an iPhone unless its covered in a huge case. I've had mine caseless for 2 years.

3. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

I know you love your eye phone. Either
    1. Take care of it better
    2. Buy an otterbox lunchbox
    3. Get a phone with gorilla glass

electronics are fragile. If you're clumsy with your stuff then get a phone that is shockproof. They do make smartphones that will take a beating...but they aren't iphones

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

:(

Having to pay out $200 to get your screen fixed for a second time may be the cure for your butter fingers ;)

You could try Apple, they may show mercy. None of us can tell you what they will do,so just give them a ring and find out.

And avoid dogs going forward :)

5. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

iPhone's got Gorilla Glass.

6. DerekRod macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

7. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

8. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

:confused:

9. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

Sure it does. That's why a million of them [the screens] break every week compared to other phones.

10. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

It does. Let's not forget that iPhones are also sold more than any other Android smartphone. And you've got double the chance of breaking the glass (because both the back and front exist out of glass).

Gorilla Glass != unbreakable or 100% scratch-resistant glass

Apple sells over 30 million iPhones a quarter. And in one quarter I suppose at best only 50,000 people break the glass. That's 0.17% of all iPhones sold. That's not much. At all.

11. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Eye laughed out loud at this one.

12. Tones2 macrumors 65816

Well, given that it costs Apple $47 in parts to replace the display and touchscreen and you are basically getting someone else's phone with the screen replaced, it would seem that the should charge you less than $100 for a replacement. That said though, I'm sure they'll wanna charge you full refurbished price of $200+ AND want to take your old phone in return because they live to make huge profits off of us.

Tony

13. aneftp macrumors 601

Just avoid using the phone while you are in motion. That means put it in your pocket.

Breaking it once is an accident. Breaking it twice. That means you need to change your behavior

Hopefully $100 (Craigslist to repair) or $199 (apple to replace) will mean you take better care of your phone.

14. ru4real macrumors member

If Apple is going to charge $200 then get it fixed in a phone repair shop, it'll cost you less.