Screen cracked late 08 mbp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by war eagle, Jan 16, 2009.

1. war eagle macrumors 6502a

So I wake up this morning to a cracked screen. Great! Took it to apple and of course they said it was my fault.

Genius guy goes atleast it's only the glass. 800 plus tax ha...

Does anybody know where I can buy the parts and possibly replace myself? Estimates?

2. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

How did you get a cracked screen? You just woke up and the mbp already had a cracked screen?!? :eek:

3. war eagle thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure what caused it to be completely honest with you. It was fine last night and I woke up this morning and it's a crack going from one end of hte screen to the other. Luckily it's only the glass.

I'm getting it replaced with a matte display next week. Gonna be without my baby for a few days though :(

4. rukus macrumors member

5. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Hmm... did you leave it on the floor and someone stepped on it? Not sure why the glass would crack out of no where.

You would have to go from extremely hot to extremely cold for that to happen.

6. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

7. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Its really easy to crack the unibody screens because the screens are integrated and built in to the outer unibody casing, so a slight tap on the outside has the same impact inside. It will cost $1200 for Apple to fix it for you, however if your doing it yourself, or getting another company to do it for you (as you mentioned your getting it matte) then there doesnt really seem to be a problem here.

8. war eagle thread starter macrumors 6502a

No it wasn't on the floor and it didnt get stepped on. I'm not trying to figure it out. I was just trying to find options on how to get it fixed.