Screen damage :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ajf.350d, Sep 21, 2017.

1. ajf.350d macrumors member

So, managed to damage the screen on my Retina MacBook Pro recently.
    Is there anything I can do about it other than a full screen replacement. I've attached a photo of the area and whilst small it is VERY obvious, especially on white backgrounds.
    It seems to be a tear in some kind of film - anti reflective coating?
    Caused by me being careless and dropping the edge of an iPad on it....

Attached Files:

2. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

It will not heal by itself. It will need to be replaced or just live with it.

Sorry, expensive drop.

3. ajf.350d thread starter macrumors member

OK, thanks for the confirmation!
    Had a feeling there wasn’t much else to do but worth asking.
    Must be quite a soft film/whatever as it only grazed the screen lightly.

I can live with it, at least for a bit. A new screen is probably the same price as the laptop is worth now, and I was considering upgrading in the next 6 months or so.
    Just so many £££££ for the new ones and really want a 15 too... that’s another thread.

4. ZapNZs macrumors 68020

ZapNZs

A screen replacement will be required.

However, if this is damage to the AR coating (I cannot tell from the pic), Apple may be willing to help you out. The 2014 is prone to problems with the AR coating in what is now known as "staingate" - the coating is delicate, and can flake away even with normal usage. Apple will replace affected models' screens even if out of warranty. Your screen may have signs of it already elsewhere - if so, the problem is solved and you get a new screen for free. If not, it wouldn't hurt to go to an Apple Store, tell them the truth about how you feel you only grazed it lightly, inquire as to if this could be related to the AR coating durability problems, and see if perhaps they might replace it under the warranty (or, if not, meet you half way on the replacement costs.) They do have outstanding customer service, if they replaced the screen for you under this program I would not be totally surprised.