Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gonzalo.barrios

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2014
I was cleaning my MacBook Pro Retina 15" and then, a stain appeared on the screen and I can not remoce it. I was cleaning it with isopropyl alcohol. When the mac is off or the background is dark I can clearly see the stain, but when it is white I rarely seen.

See the pictures Attached!!!
Thank you!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_1264.jpg
    IMG_1264.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 5,520
  • IMG_1263.jpg
    IMG_1263.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1,257
  • IMG_1262.jpg
    IMG_1262.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 993

iMarvin

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2011
On the internet!
Looks like you have removed some sort of coat with the alcohol, maybe the antiglare coat. Take it to the applestore to have it checked out. If they can't do anything try applying the alcohol to all of the screen to get an even look.

Creditcard

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2008
I find the amount of threads with the AR coating coming off quite worrisome. In your case you used alcohol which is an absolute no no.

Guess I'm never going to clean my screen again! :p

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
Next time either use on 1 drop of water on a very soft cotton cloth, or one of many screen cleaners for monitors that are available, and wipe softly not harsh. Keep food and drinks away from the system as well or accidents happen.

You messed it up I'm afraid..

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Don't clean screens with alcohol.

How to clean Apple products
Apple also gives instructions on how to clean your Mac in the User Guides for the MBA, MBP and iMac:
Cleaning your Mac When cleaning the outside of your Mac and its components, first shut down your Mac, and then unplug the power adapter. Then use a damp, soft, lint-free cloth to clean the Mac exterior. Avoid getting moisture in any openings. Do not spray liquid directly on the computer. Do not use aerosol sprays, solvents, or abrasives that might damage the finish. Cleaning the Mac screen To clean your Mac screen, first shut down your Mac and unplug the power adapter. Then use a soft, lint-free cloth dampened with just water and wipe the screen. Do not spray liquid directly on the screen.
Also, you'll find plenty of suggestions by searching through the many existing threads on this topic, such as these:

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I find the amount of threads with the AR coating coming off quite worrisome. In your case you used alcohol which is an absolute no no.

Guess I'm never going to clean my screen again! :p

I never worry about screens where the coating was stripped because of the use of cleaners that are not recommended. This is not a design flaw at all. This is user error plain and simple.

OP: I believe you need a new screen or maybe the suggestion of using the same solution to clean it all and maybe even it out will work. Without replacement, the value of your machine just diminished greatly. :(

crawler1975

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2011
I was cleaning my MacBook Pro Retina 15" and then, a stain appeared on the screen and I can not remoce it. I was cleaning it with isopropyl alcohol. When the mac is off or the background is dark I can clearly see the stain, but when it is white I rarely seen.

See the pictures Attached!!!
Thank you!!!!

using alcohol to clean laptop screens is a NO NO... use only cleaners that are specifically made for monitors/laptop ... hope apple will be able to help you with that (most likely they will replace your screen).

taedouni

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
California
I don't mean to be a troll or a jerk by posting what others have said but please, for anyone reading, for the love of all things in this beloved world, never use alcohol to clean screens.

Alcohol is used to remove things such as thermal paste on a CPU/GPU, not to clean displays. Having said that, you can try your luck at an Apple store. There have been many times in which I've read stories on these forums in which honesty went a long way for some people and Apple was glad to assist them free of charge.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
COLOR ME CONCERNED!

I just moved to MBPr from 2009 MBP.

Used those little glasses wipes on it for years. I assume they have alcohol or something in them, as the paper goes from soft to stiff within about 5 minutes.

Yoshi Yogurt

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2010
i use alcohol to clean allsorts. I actualy used it on a speck case and now its gloss finish rather than satin :(
Not even my case. i wander how my customer will react lol :mad:

Yea I use rubbing alcohol to clean all my NES games. It's just makes no sense to use on a screen. What were they trying to clean off?

LxHunter

Suspended
Nov 14, 2010
COLOR ME CONCERNED!

Used those little glasses wipes on it for years. I assume they have alcohol or something in them, as the paper goes from soft to stiff within about 5 minutes.

Thats what I do.
Been using Zeiss glasses wipes
On MBA for more than 9 months
Assumed they would be safe because they are for coated lenses.
No problems do far.

lokster

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2010
COLOR ME CONCERNED!

Thats what I do.
Been using Zeiss glasses wipes
On MBA for more than 9 months
Assumed they would be safe because they are for coated lenses.
No problems do far.

same here, i use lens cleaning wipes for all my screens for the past year! I know they all contain isopropyl alcohol, must be a very small amount as no harm has come to my screens.

Although i think the new MBA and MBP with retina have some sort of thin coating on them, unlike the macbook pros that have a glass panel

someoneoutthere

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2014
Someplaceoutthere
I use the microfiber cloth that came in the box. I simply pour tap water on one of its (cloth) corners, wipe the screen top to bottom moving from left to right; and once I'm done doing that I just wipe the screen until it's dry in the same method/direction.
I occasionally use a microfiber duster to get rid of the dust built-up on the screen/unibody, especially after a long day outside.
I think it is pretty simple and straight forward thing to do, I really don't understand why people invest in specialized cleaning solvents/utilities when they can simply get the job done with the tool(s) that are readily available at home.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.