Screen Defect

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by dbetts74, Aug 20, 2015.

1. dbetts74 macrumors newbie

So I went to look at my watch last week and noticed black circle on the screen on top right corner, was blocking the clock so very obvious. My watch was bought in June. Seemed to get larger as the day went on. I called Apple and they had me do a screen shot with the watch and it doesn't show in screen shot which meant it was not software but an actual screen defect. They said they will most likely replace the watch since they can't replace the screen because it would void the water rating when they break the seal on the watch. So a box came to my house on Friday to put my old watch in and by Tuesday the new watch arrived. Great service but a bit concerned about what happened to my old watch. Here is a picture of it - you will see it in the top right corner

Attached Files:

2. Itsedstech macrumors 6502a

3. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

No doubt it is water intrusion and you need to return your watch and get it replaced.

4. Mac2me, Aug 21, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2015

Mac2me macrumors 6502a

^He already got his replacement watch back from Apple if you read his post.

Yes, most likely was a water issue. We've seen a few watches with these issues here on the forum. Not many, but a few. Out of curiosity do you remember the watch being exposed to water in any way before you saw the spot starting to appear?

Glad to hear it was taken care of promptly by Apple for you. I seem to recall one guy in another country having to go through an authorized service center and having trouble getting his watch issue resolved with them, very frustrating for him, until he skipped over them and sent email directly to Apple which resulted in a replacement.

Interesting little tidbit there you shared about the screen shot. I do think the seal was already breached and that was a water drop that spread inside. OLED screens do not react well to water. Guessing Apple techs will want to investigate the application of the sealant and figure out what went wrong if they haven't already done so with the few other cases we've seen. The fact that millions of watches have been sold already and few cases like this, I would think bodes well in general, especially since there seem to be a number of users here who get their watch wet knowingly.

5. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

I would rather wash my watch every week that find out after the warranty that the AW was not water tight. No doubt Apple will be replacing almost any watch that get water inside.

6. dbetts74 thread starter macrumors newbie

I did get the watch wet at times - rain, hand washing, outdoor activities - showered maybe 2-3 times with it - All I was under the impression were ok

7. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

You watch should not have leaked with what you did. It was a simple defect from the factory and it was not sealed correctly. I have washed mine multiple times and have not had it leak.