screen defect?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by phreakshew, Apr 18, 2008.

1. phreakshew macrumors newbie

This is a *brand new* intel macbook. Ever since I brought it home from the store I have noticed a few bright, or shiny spots on the screen that are only visible when the computer is off. They are not fingerprints, and I have been extra extra careful about treatment of this macbook - Only wiped down screen with supplied cloth - no cleaning products used, besides a little dab of distilled water occasionally (applied to the cloth, not directly to the screen). Anyway, it's now about 4 months old, and I'm noticing more little spots on the screen. I'm taking it in to get looked at, but I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this issue? I'll post the response I get from the store... Thanks for looking

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Are they on the surface of the screen or are they a defect on the lcd itself?

3. phreakshew thread starter macrumors newbie

well guess what

went down to mac store - they brought out the iKlear, and well, the good news is that the new spots went away! Guess that stuff works after all. (I'm still gonna try the rubbing alcohol/distilled water mix before I shell out 20-30 bucks for a little bottle of that stuff though)

However, there remains a line of weird shiny spots across the middle of the screen- again, they have been there since day 1, and are only noticeable when the laptop is off or in sleep mode. They said I could come back later and have a Genius take a look at it if I wanted to. It's still under warranty. I just don't want it to turn into something worse. The line of spots looks like it lines up with the area between the space bar and mouse pad- hmmmm I dunno. I mean, if theres no dead pixels, and it isn't something that going to get worse, I can live with it. But if you have any other suggestions, I'd love to hear about them.

Thanx for your time.

:apple:

Have to tell ya though- it was kinda funny- the first dude is all, "ok, don't spray directly on the screen. Only spray on the cloth and don't rub in circles. Only horizontal and vertical lines." Then, after that line wouldn't go away, he called over another employee, who proceeded to spray iKlear directly on the screen and started rubbing in circles! :rolleyes: And I'm all like - "Hey! you're doing exactly what he told me not to do!" - Then they go- "uh, well, actually, it's uh, more a matter of preference really". Yeah. Obviously NOT a genius, by any standard. lol

4. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

I have the best results with iKlear lightly sprayed directly and then polished on in circles (genius #2's school), although the "company line" is the advice you got from genius #1.

Even though the MB's keyboard is supposed to be below the level of the palmrests and immune to screen key rubbing, I've see MBs come into the shop looking like the screen rubbing iBooks developed. If you think you see it happening, pick up a marware protection pack - it comes with a microfiber cloth that rides between the keyboard and screen and doubles as a screen cleaning cloth.